PDA

View Full Version : Plot point character limit

ragnaroktog
March 27th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Has anyone else run into plot point character limits? I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a limitation of the plot point description box.

Nikmal
March 27th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Can't say that I have.. then again to be honest I have not used that category more then a couple of times is all.

EightBitz
March 27th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Has anyone else run into plot point character limits? I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a limitation of the plot point description box.

How many characters are you linking to your plot points?

(Yes, yes, I know . . . couldn't resist, though.)

EightBitz
March 27th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I would give you a real answer, except I don't know. I haven't delved into plot points that heavily yet.

ragnaroktog
March 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM
I would give you a real answer, except I don't know. I haven't delved into plot points that heavily yet.

I find that interesting, since I find plot points to be the main reason I'd want to use RW, yet it seems to have the least amount of features devoted to it.

Is there a better way to track, say, my party meeting in a hall, what the various people in the hall would have to say, what DCs should be used, etc?

EightBitz
March 28th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I took a quick look at plot points and noticed they were limited in that they didn't have snippets. That's why I didn't delve. They seemed simple enough to grasp, yet a bit too simple compared to other things.

Then I noticed there was a scene topic. So, I would imagine you would create a plot point with a brief description, then link it to other topics (scenes, individuals, locations, etc) for more detailed info.

rob
March 28th, 2014, 12:25 AM
@EightBitz beat me to this one by a few minutes. :)

Plot point descriptions cannot be shown with the flexibility of snippets, so it really doesn't make lots of sense to put lengthy details into a plot point description. In addition, the description is revealed along with the plot point itself, so lots of details generally don't make sense, as they would all be revealed to the players along with the plot point.

The design philosophy is that plot points are simple elements that provide a convenient, visual outline of an overall story arc. Each plot point would generally be associated with a topic (often a "Scene" topic) that encapsulates all the details of the plot point. You can then have snippets within the topic that are individually revealable, as well as embedded links within those snippets that link to other topics that factor into the plot point (e.g. important NPCs).

Hope this helps!

ragnaroktog
March 28th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Hey, thanks all. Looks like the Scene option was what I was looking for.

AEIOU
March 28th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Add this topic to the tutorials wish-list, please. :)

Merion
April 1st, 2014, 05:45 AM
Add this topic to the tutorials wish-list, please. :)

+1

as I also tried to cram everything into the plot descriptions and wondered about the strict character limit.

Fox Lee
April 26th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Others have clarified that this is just how the plot point box works, but I thought I might add that I did indeed encounter this, but my solution was to recognise that I wanted WAY more info than was possible in one paragraph anyway. I made a custom topic suited to my needs (appropriately superseded now by the default Scene topic) and made most of my plot points into direct links to topics.

This makes them perfect for navigation-by-plot (which I didn't think I'd use at first, but it quickly became the default at the gaming table) and has the handy side benefit that the plot points automatically use the name of the topic, if I don't give them their own name manually. Unless you have an extremely simple set of plot points, I would consider this always the ideal way to construct plots.