PDA

View Full Version : Tabbing Through Cells

ruhar
March 27th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I just created a table and started inputting the text and discovered that I can't tab from one cell to the next. This is a fundamental feature of tables. It makes working with tables a lot easier and less time consuming. The user can type the content for a cell, click tab, type the content on the new cell. Instead of that simplicity the user has to type the content of a cell, move to the mouse, move the cursor to the next cell, click on the new cell, move back to the keyboard, type the new content.

Please fix this ability or tell me that it is part of the public release that I, as a Dire Wolf backer, can't get until I get the activation code.

Portilis
March 28th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Not quite sure what you mean by a table here? There are no tables per se that I'm aware of.

If you mean creating an entry in the story/world almanac, well, you can tab through them, but as with most programs tab will take you through each item in the section in turn, so you might need quite a few presses to get to the next text box as it goes through the buttons for options, add new, info, etc.

Farling
March 28th, 2014, 06:50 AM
You can add a table within the text body of a snippet, this is what Ruhar is referring to.

rob
March 28th, 2014, 11:32 PM
@ruhar: First of all, as a Dire Wolf backer, you already have the product. You do NOT need an activation code. The only people you need an activation code are those backers who have NEVER used the product before and don't yet have an account.

@ruhar: When you are using a word processor, the <tab> key doesn't already have meaning, so using it to move between table cells is easily done. Within Realm Works, there are lots of snippets and other controls, and the <tab> key is already wired into being used to move between those controls. The vast majority of users will expect the <tab> key to continue working as it does all the time, which means they expect it to move between controls in the interface. So we can't just change the behavior within tables without confusing users with the inconsistent behavior. I recommend using <ctrl+right arrow> and <ctrl+left arrow> to quickly move between words and efficiently get to the next cell within a table.

ruhar
March 28th, 2014, 11:49 PM
@rob So I have been able to download the public version all this time? Boy have I been confused. When I read the kickstarter announcement I thought all backers had to wait for a new activation code. Assuming there might be other dimly lit bulbs in the pack you might want to clarify that to the kickstarters. I sure feel a little stupid. If it wasn't so late and I wasn't tired I'd download it now, but it'll have to wait a few hours.

Thank you for explaining how the coding for tab works. I didn't know it can't change when the cursor is inside a table. That's too bad because it makes it a lot easier to fill in a table.

Farling
March 29th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Thank you for explaining how the coding for tab works. I didn't know it can't change when the cursor is inside a table. That's too bad because it makes it a lot easier to fill in a table.

Would it be possible to get something like shift-tab to work within tables?

Chemlak
March 29th, 2014, 03:45 AM
@rob So I have been able to download the public version all this time? Boy have I been confused. When I read the kickstarter announcement I thought all backers had to wait for a new activation code. Assuming there might be other dimly lit bulbs in the pack you might want to clarify that to the kickstarters. I sure feel a little stupid. If it wasn't so late and I wasn't tired I'd download it now, but it'll have to wait a few hours.

Got to agree with this bit: when I got the notice of v1.0 going live, I thought "hmmm, where's my activation code? Not here. Damn, am I going to be waiting until the end of the month? Could be... May as well see if there's an update, anyway... There is! It works! Wooooooot!"

Just a note that Early Access users just need to update, no activation code required, would be a good thing.

Parody
March 29th, 2014, 07:17 PM
FWIW: I thought that I had to wait for a new code as well. (I downloaded it yesterday just to see if it would work, but I waited until then because of the Kickstarter update email.)

rob
March 29th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Would it be possible to get something like shift-tab to work within tables?

Unfortunately, <shift+Tab> is the analog of <Tab>, so it's wired into moving through the controls on the form in REVERSE order.

I'm not sure how we can resolve this, but I've logged it as something that we need to try to figure out. Don't look for this to be solved immediately, as there are some critical priority items that we're working on now. Once things settle down a little, we'll circle back and see if we can sort something out for this.

Thanks for your patience!

rob
March 29th, 2014, 10:04 PM
@All: I just flagged to Liz that there's been confusion with how things have been communicated to the KS backers. I've asked her to clarify this to everyone. My guess is that won't go out until tomorrow (it's late Saturday night), but it will get done. And thanks for flagging it!

ruhar
March 29th, 2014, 11:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only dimly lit bulb in the pack. lol

ryntak4536
April 11th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Arrow keys can be used to navigate through tables.

What I would like is if the table defaulted to a little bit larger width when created.

davidp
April 12th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Arrow keys can be used to navigate through tables.

What I would like is if the table defaulted to a little bit larger width when created.

It defaults to size-to-fit the contents. When you create a table, you have no contents and so minimal width.