PDA

View Full Version : Here is the post I made on a Writer's Forum

lfseeney
January 9th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Showing more folks in the writer areas how RW could help them.

The Realms Works Software was designed for a RPG Gamemaster to keep track of things in the game.

Build Encounters, Lore, the Cast, Items and so on.

It is a Data Base for the RPG worlds, folks create.

I Kick Started it so I have had a Beta for a few months, it is not quite where I would like to have it for writing yet, but the features are coming.

One of the features is that you can reveal things to the Players, it tracks not only which info they know BUT when the info is revealed.

Soon this will be working with a system that you can build your own calendar, so that you can mark an exact day and time they found that info.

Also at this time it does the Reveal of info to the Party as a whole, remember it is first an RPG tool.

This is supposed to change very soon, a bit of info can be given to one Person at one time, and others at differing times.

Another great feature which is working is it builds Hyper Links for you,
You Create Sam Shovel Grave Digger by Day, Detective by Night
You Add him in, put his office in the attic of the Tavern called Smashed Potatoes.
You will add many details, to Sam.

Then you add the Smashed Potatoes Taverns under stores,
You add in details how they carry many drinks but Vodkas are that thing their known for.
When you add that the attic is used by Sam a few things happen.

When you save that entry it pops up, did you mean Sam Shovel, if that is correct you say OK.
Now when you look at the Tavern, you will see a link with Sams name on it, clicking takes you to Sams entry.

As you add more and more info you get more of these connections setup, so when reviewing things you can see how they are go together.

Now you have pages written about Sam already, just drop that block of text in, then choose the info you want, hit Shift Enter and it is now a separate entry, and the rest of the block in still intact, much faster than cutting and pasting.

When you mention Sam drinks anything but prefers Vodka, and you had Vodka at the Smashed Potatoes another link is formed.

You can set relation ships between folks, Mother Daughter, Father Son, Master Student, and so on.
If the one you need is not there then add a new one. You can add new key words, descriptors, just about anything.

Realm Works will have a learning curve, and it can take a bit of time to see how it can work for a writer, I am finding it useful now, I think it will be a great tool when the full custom calendar system and revealing info to characters can be done one at a time or in groups.

The Linking reminds me, what I am looking at is connected to these other things.

If you happen to be sharing a world, you will be able to share info through the net soon, again this was made so in the RPGs the Players could track what they know and keep up to date. Having more than one World Builder is also in the works.

The Writer will also be able to open the data from say, Sam Shovel's point of view, see what he knows and when he found out. For me this will help catch those editing nightmares where Sam never found that clue so all his thinking from here on in broken, even if it does happen you will know where on the time line he needs to acquire that knowledge.

The Full package will be out soon, they have a forum where you can see what folks are looking at, and some videos for teaching the use of the program.

It may not be for everyone but I thought a few might like to know it is there.
Real Works
<ul>http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks</ul>

Forums
<ul>http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67</ul>

I am not part of the Lone Wolf Group, just a writer who runs some RPGs and saw that this program might help others like my self build something in a more organized way.

I did pay for it through Kickstarter, and have been a beta tester.

Happy New Years to all, may your words flow as quickly as time with good friends,
Lee

padawanjedi
January 27th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Personally, one of my main reasons for backing RealmWorks was to move novels in progress from scattered notebooks into some sort of connected database thingy.

It is a wonderful experience to see all of your characters linked up.

Aleslosh
January 27th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I saw the same potential for this product also. I look forward to moving my book series into Realm Works once it's available. Who knows.... My books may even become a realm to be walked through by future PC's! :)

Nicole
January 28th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Yup, one of the things I use Realm Works for is for plotting and organization for my stories. :)

woobyluv
January 29th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I'd like to use Realm Works for my short stories and possible future novels alas, I am still waiting for its 1.0 release. Any word on how close we are to seeing a release?

Nikmal
January 29th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Woobyluv,
Because of all the missed deadlines all you will get now is soon. The missed deadlines and the upset people. :)

So... soon. Your best bet is to wait for LWD to post one of their monthly updates which should be soon. :D

woobyluv
January 29th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Woobyluv,
Because of all the missed deadlines all you will get now is soon. The missed deadlines and the upset people. :)

So... soon. Your best bet is to wait for LWD to post one of their monthly updates which should be soon. :D

While I get that, the last update said something about the end of this month. I'm curious if the release is still on track for the end of this month or barring that, the early part of Feb.

EightBitz
January 29th, 2014, 04:24 PM
While I get that, the last update said something about the end of this month. I'm curious if the release is still on track for the end of this month or barring that, the early part of Feb.

No. The last update said they were hoping to have most bugs worked by the end of this month. There's still testing and verifying.

Colen
January 31st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Personally, one of my main reasons for backing RealmWorks was to move novels in progress from scattered notebooks into some sort of connected database thingy.

Well, I think we just found Realm Works' new tagline for our web site. ;)

Nikmal
January 31st, 2014, 01:17 PM
Well, I think we just found Realm Works' new tagline for our web site. ;)

Now that is funny hehe

Grey Mage
January 31st, 2014, 02:25 PM
+1 to this idea...

Especially with a turning gears inside the partial globe logo <hint>