PDA

View Full Version : Mass Upload of Data

chiefweasel
December 17th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Is there a way, like the .user files in HL, to change a RW file in a text editor? What I would like to do is enter in a few thousand star systems, but don't want to do it one system at a time.

JackOfAllGames
December 18th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Purely conjecture here, I'm thinking not. Based on how I've heard the Lone Wolf team talk about RW, it sounds like they're using a database of some kind. Modifying the data would likely require something like:
1. Identifying the type of database
2. Familiarizing yourself with how that type of database works (learning syntax and such...maybe learning about databases in general if you've never worked with one before)
3. Gain access to any existing security credentials (if the database is protected...which I hope won't be an issue)
4. Familiarizing yourself with the way the data is structured and learn how to manipulate it without breaking anything.
5. Write your queries

lifer4700
December 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Unless they have an Import feature...

Something that would take a CSV or XML file, perhaps.

The only snafu I could see would be the auto linking system. There would need to be an allowance for that somehow, or you would have to go back and manually link things...

I have zero experience with the software, so I don't know how it really works yet.

Here is a related thread that hasn't received an official answer either.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=47475