PDA

View Full Version : Circumstance/Situational in another dataset?

TCArknight
December 3rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Howdy!

What would be needed to implement the Situational or Conditional Bonus macros in a new game system? Would it just be a matter of changing the macro to use game-specific attributes? Or is there something hardcoded to the Pathfinder system for them?

Thanks!
Thomas

Mathias
December 3rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
There are hundreds of lines of code and several fields involved in that.

RavenX
December 3rd, 2013, 05:43 PM
There are hundreds of lines of code and several fields involved in that.

I'm guessing there is a long string of if () then statements in there, and needing to create a text field for the situation list that has to be added to everything that the macro can benefit from based on what I've seen.

TCArknight
December 4th, 2013, 03:57 AM
I was afraid of that. :(

Is there any of the code for any of the PF Macros that you can share that might be useful for other games' datasets?

Thanks!
Thomas

RavenX
December 4th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I was afraid of that. :(

Is there any of the code for any of the PF Macros that you can share that might be useful for other games' datasets?

Thanks!
Thomas

I think he shared #appenddesc for appending description text. Which is a very handy macro to have.

Mathias
December 4th, 2013, 07:57 AM
In my opinion, it is much more important to have a game system functional than to add fancy macros. Until you've published your system, spending time adding nice to have features is just delaying the release. Once you've gotten all the mechanics in place, and users can create and advance their characters, that's when you can start looking into how you can improve the details of your system.

RavenX
December 4th, 2013, 08:11 AM
In my opinion, it is much more important to have a game system functional than to add fancy macros. Until you've published your system, spending time adding nice to have features is just delaying the release. Once you've gotten all the mechanics in place, and users can create and advance their characters, that's when you can start looking into how you can improve the details of your system.

This is true, back when Pathfinder was first released the software was functional and not fancy. It did the job it needed to do.