PDA

View Full Version : Prefixes and Suffixes

AEIOU
November 18th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Ok, this is driving me nuts. I really want EVERYTHING to default to a prefix for the identifier. I cannot think of a single case where a suffix is actually useful for identification that I wouldn't rather use a relationship.

Why does group: Military use prefix but all other groups uses suffix? It's inconsistent

Why can't I edit Merchants and Plots to be prefixes? I want to assign location numbers to them and they all default to uneditable suffixes which makes the identifier for them completely, frustratingly useless.

Please remove suffixes from identifiers completely or let us edit ALL of them so we can choose where prefixes and suffixes make sense.

Joe
November 19th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Military Groups getting prefix is a bug, they should be suffixes, same with Titled Positions.

I'm not sure what's going on with Merchants for you. Since they are a subcategory of location, they should be set to prefix (which they appear to be on my end). Can you describe what you're seeing further?

Also, can you describe exactly what use case you're attempting to achieve, and how being able to use prefixes for everything would let you accomplish that?

AEIOU
November 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks for looking into this.

I see myself using identifiers mainly for ordering topics by another means than alphabetical by the topic's name. I would like to use prefixes for location numbers, map IDs, military ranks or titles and group affiliations.

I'm hoping the link below works for you. You can see that in the Manage Categories and Snippet Types area, the Identifier and Simple Grouping fields are grayed out. I have unlocked Merchants thinking that would allow me to edit these things but that didn't help. Your comment that yours does work makes me wonder if this is a corruption or something.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38xJJAsUPYUNjJLNGRlcFBRTVU/edit?usp=sharing

I am specifically trying to change the default Identifier for the Merchant category to be a prefix so I can sort using map location numbers as prefix.

I'm curious as to when suffixes might be useful? If you can't sort on it, why not add the info as a snippet in the body making it easy to filter? How do suffixes help us to organize our materials more effectively?

AEIOU
January 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM
A quick update for you Joe:

I recently created another campaign and checked the Merchant category. It is set correctly to prefix and it sorts properly. It's a beta so issues are expected. I think I have a bugged main campaign....

I'm hoping that I can eventually copy the data with the "broken" merchant category from my main campaign to a new blank campaign to fix this issue.