PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Files

Kathorus
August 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I am wondering if anyone knows the minimum files and elements required to have hero lab start up in a custom system. So far I know that I need definition.def, a .str file with actor and journal compsets defined, one .dat file

at this point the program just crashes without a descriptive error, so I can't track down what it needs.

I would really like to have a game system skeleton file that starts from scratch.

Mathias
August 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Develop menu...Create New Game System will give you just the skeleton files.

RavenX
August 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I am wondering if anyone knows the minimum files and elements required to have hero lab start up in a custom system. So far I know that I need definition.def, a .str file with actor and journal compsets defined, one .dat file

at this point the program just crashes without a descriptive error, so I can't track down what it needs.

I would really like to have a game system skeleton file that starts from scratch.

Using the skeleton file is your best bet. As for how many files and elements, that will depend on how complex the game system actually is.

Kathorus
September 2nd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. I guess I am learning quite a bit by using the skeleton files as every time I remove something I have to troubleshoot all the files in order to track down all the dependencies for items I just don't need.

What I was hoping for was the bare minimum items needed to have a working set of files with no presupposed mechanics.

BoomerET
September 3rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
Required (there are others, but these are what I know)
form_config.dat: The first dialog box for configuring the character
form_dashboard.dat: The column on the right hand side if there are more than one portfolio.
form_static.dat: This file controls what is seen at the top of the screen.
form_taccon.dat: Form shown for tatical console

How do I know there are required. Because in the skeleton files, the text inside the file says it's required. As I said, there are others, but I haven't documented them as of yet.

BoomerET