PDA

View Full Version : Sending info to RW via email or text

Zaphod Beebledoc
August 24th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Sometimes when I'm not at my PC, I have a game idea.

It would be nice to have a way to send an email, from a smartphone or a public computer, or even text to a special account and from there have it transferred into RW, maybe in the User Notes section.

Chemlak
August 24th, 2013, 07:21 AM
It's an interesting idea, but I think there are a few technical and financial considerations.

Firstly, LWD would need to buy a new domain name for the email addresses (to say nothing of the expense of text receipt software) so that I could, for example, be Chemlak@realmworks.com.

Then there's the problem of what format data would need to be in to get it into the Realm correctly.

Presumably, you'd put the Realm name as the subject line, but the body of the email would have to include topic names, whether it's Story, Plot or World almanac, whether it's a new snippet, what category of snippet it is, whether it contains tags (many of which will be user-defined), and to guarantee it would work would need there to be absolutely zero errors in the body of the email, because otherwise it will need human intervention to make it work. At which point it's easier to just send yourself an email with the details and copy/paste.

Now, a Smartphone App to do the same thing... that might be worth looking into. Especially after we start being able to sync to the cloud.

Spence
August 24th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Now, an ANDROID Smartphone App to do the same thing... that might be worth looking into. Especially after we start being able to sync to the cloud.

There fixed it :)

Zaphod Beebledoc
August 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
It's an interesting idea, but I think there are a few technical and financial considerations...

...At which point it's easier to just send yourself an email with the details and copy/paste.

[Teal'c] Indeed! *raises eyebrow* [/Teal'c]

Zaphod Beebledoc
August 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Now, an Android Smartphone App to do the same thing... that might be worth looking into. Especially after we start being able to sync to the cloud.

There fixed it :)

Is there any other? (Worth noting?) ;)

rob
August 25th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Remember all the talk about the web-based interface? That's exactly where this feature would be handled. Users could login, access the notes for their realm, and jot a few ideas down via their smart phone. When they got home, the notes are waiting for refinement and integration into the realm. :)

Zaphod Beebledoc
August 25th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Remember all the talk about the web-based interface? That's exactly where this feature would be handled. Users could login, access the notes for their realm, and jot a few ideas down via their smart phone. When they got home, the notes are waiting for refinement and integration into the realm. :)

Yes! I didn't forget about that at all... *whistles and shuffles off*

DeckOfManyThings
August 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM
My commute is 45 minutes each way, gives me a lot of time to think about my game where I am not at liberty to login to a website. I, for one, would love a "Text message" option, where I can just fire up Siri and compose a text over voice and have it waiting for integration when I get back to RW.

AzrofD
September 10th, 2013, 02:31 AM
+1 this. I don't need a text message option, but an App that interfaces with the normal voice commands makes good sense to me.

Such good sense.

Do another Kickstarter for the app. You can have more of my money.