PDA

View Full Version : Have you used HL with a Win 8 atom computer?

skilmar
July 28th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I'm considering buying one of the Windows 8 Intel Atom processor computers -- Asus Vivotab, Lenovo Ideatab, etc. My idea is to find something portable, with long battery life, and under $500 US. I would use my Android tablet, but alas, no Hero Lab support yet.

Please share your experiences with any of these tablet/laptops. I'm looking at it for use at the table for Pathfinder -- both as a player and as a GM.

Thanks!

freeAgent
August 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I have used it on a computer with an AMD E-350, which is around the speed you get with an Atom (perhaps slower than the newest Atoms, though faster than the older ones). Hero Lab worked fine on it, though loading portfolios is slow. I use Combat Manager during play, though, not Hero Lab. It's compatible with .por files: http://combatmanager.com/

StanC
August 5th, 2013, 07:27 PM
may want to make sure it is not Win 8 RT
I may be wrong but I believe that they said that it will not work with RT but with normal Win 8

Xennhorn
December 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I run herolab on a Vivotab just fine .. from full charge and just running herolab the battery easily lasts a 10hr pathfinder campaign section ;)

But as pointed out by StanC make sure its not windows RT .. as windows RT is a closed OS and wont accept 3rd party program installs