PDA

View Full Version : Player views

SpacePotato
March 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM
So I'm very excited for player views --

I'm interested in more clarification on the options for 'player views'. Here are the options based on what I know, from kickstarter comments (sorry if I missed a blatant one or maligned the actual intent/implementation).

1) The main RW application window will split off a completely separate window that can be specified as 'Player View'. The intent here is to use a second monitor to show the players.
I'm assuming this view will have some sort of 'player control', although it might really be controlled by the GM. Will the Player View see everything that has been revealed via FoW, or will the GM allow certain 'selections' (such as current map and PC, etc). I imagine this will be available at launch?

2) The main RW application will run a local webserver, which will facilitate LAN players to connect and view. I assume RW will host all content pages and the user will simply access via a browser, or will they have to have their own copy of FW installed? I personally would be very excited if it was a rich web page that would at least allow the individual browsing of 'what the players already know' including exposed maps, backstory, etc. I suspect this will be a future delivery, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

3) WAN access via the RW cloud. I think this is planned for launch (hence the KS). I assume this will also be via a copy of RW and not via the browser. Will the players and GM versions be the 'same' or will there be a player 'viewer' that will be available at a lesser cost?

Did I get all of them?

Thrantor
March 9th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Did I get all of them?
I think that is most of them. The WebServer one is almost certainly a future release if at all.

Although, #3... Last I knew, it was planned that the players and GM would be able to access the RW cloud data through a web browser. But I might be remembering wrong.

For #1, I'm assuming that the player view is GM controlled. Since it will be based on the machine the GM is using... I don't think they could easily allow the second monitor to be controlled by a remote mouse and keyboard.

xipehuz
March 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM
3) WAN access via the RW cloud. I think this is planned for launch (hence the KS). I assume this will also be via a copy of RW and not via the browser. Will the players and GM versions be the 'same' or will there be a player 'viewer' that will be available at a lesser cost?

Did I get all of them?
From what I remember, there is no "players" version of RW.
The way it works is that the GM can install his version of RW on as many computers he likes (including his players' computers).
The only difference is that the GM as a GM account with a GM (paid) licence and the players only have players (free) accounts with limited capabilities, like viewing the FoW data provided by their GM.

mirtos
March 10th, 2013, 03:35 PM
From what I remember, there is no "players" version of RW.
The way it works is that the GM can install his version of RW on as many computers he likes (including his players' computers).
The only difference is that the GM as a GM account with a GM (paid) licence and the players only have players (free) accounts with limited capabilities, like viewing the FoW data provided by their GM.

There is no players version. There is no DM version. With the cloud we will be to sync portions of the actual data to players based on players login based on what as we as a DM reveal.

rob
March 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I'm interested in more clarification on the options for 'player views'. Here are the options based on what I know, from kickstarter comments (sorry if I missed a blatant one or maligned the actual intent/implementation).

1) The main RW application window will split off a completely separate window that can be specified as 'Player View'. The intent here is to use a second monitor to show the players.
I'm assuming this view will have some sort of 'player control', although it might really be controlled by the GM. Will the Player View see everything that has been revealed via FoW, or will the GM allow certain 'selections' (such as current map and PC, etc). I imagine this will be available at launch?

This feature is already in place and in use by the Beta team. It is optimized for use with a second monitor for presentation to the players. However, you can also switch a single monitor into a separate mode for showing to the players. This latter approach can be readily used when the GM is running on a laptop at a game, with the GM switching to the player mode and then turning the laptop around so the players can see things.

The GM is completely in control of what information is shown on the second monitor. Generally, it will be a partially revealed map, maybe a picture or two, some information that has been uncovered, etc. For an idea of how this will work, look at the Kickstarter video. There are some examples starting a little past the 5-minute mark.

2) The main RW application will run a local webserver, which will facilitate LAN players to connect and view. I assume RW will host all content pages and the user will simply access via a browser, or will they have to have their own copy of FW installed? I personally would be very excited if it was a rich web page that would at least allow the individual browsing of 'what the players already know' including exposed maps, backstory, etc. I suspect this will be a future delivery, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

This feature has been prototyped internally, but it won't be further developed until after we release the core functionality. The objective (which could change) is to allow players to use a web browser to connect to the GM's computer and view whatever information has been revealed thus far. GMs could also use this to disseminate information directly to the players.

Cloud support is being developed as the result of the Kickstarter. The cloud will enable two forms for distributing content to players. The first form will be via the players using a separate copy of Realm Works. Our goal is to make this available for free to players, but there could be a small cost associated (we're weighing the alternatives). The second form will be via a simple web browser interface. This latter method won't have nearly the same level of functionality as the full product, but it will run in a browser, so virtually any device could be used to access the material.

You'll find more information on all of this within a few of the FAQ entries on the main Kickstarter page, but that should summarize all the most important bits.

Hope this helps!

SpacePotato
March 11th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Yep, that lines up with what I was thinking. Thanks Rob. Look forward to it!

SpacePotato
March 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Just as a follow up -- just started tinkering with the setup, and I am -very- impressed with the Player View as currently implemented (using other monitor). I think this will serve just fine for my future sessions. I'm also tinkering with using the AirDisplay Ipad app so I can 'share' player view on an ipad and the players can pass it around.

edit: player view (singular).. didn't want to give the impression that there was more than 1 player view.