PDA

View Full Version : is there a map editor

kastle
February 6th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I just could not find anything that told me explicitly whether or not this soft ware will contain a map editor where i can create and edit my own maps for campaigns..

thanks

~Kastle

rob
February 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Here's what we posted about this topic in the Kickstarter comments section:

Realm Works does not include map creation at the current time. We're not trying to reinvent wheels that have already been built by other companies right now. :) The assumption is that you'll bring maps in from other tools, such as Dundjinni, Hexographer, Campaign Cartographer, Photoshop, or whatever else you prefer. Once you import a map, you can then place pins on it and leverage the incremental reveal mechanism.

If there is enough demand, we could potentially develop a map creation tool for Realm Works. We've definitely mapped out what that would look like, and how it would dovetail with many of Realm Works' existing features, but no development work has been done at this time.

Mmurphy
February 11th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Will the maps have to be posted in a graphic's format (PNG, JPG) or will we be able to import the original map file (.FCW for Campaign Cartographer for example)?

rob
February 12th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Realm Works has no understanding of file formats like those from Campaign Cartographer, Photoshop, etc. Those files *can* be stored within Realm Works if you wish, but they will simply be passed to the operating system for handling by the appropriately configured external program. If you wish to utilize a map to place pins on it and/or leverage the incremental reveal mechanism, the file must be a standard graphics file of one of the major formats (PNG, GIF, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, and a couple others).

Cutter
February 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM
Hi Rob,

I have a related question about the map viewer.

Suppose I have a standard .jpg map file and I am using the incremental view to restrict what players can see. In the player view of that map is there any ability to scroll and zoom maps while viewing?

I would really like to see that, as I use an LCD display(attached to my laptop as an second external monitor) laying down as a VTT at the moment, which allows me to display the map, zoom to the proper size and players can then place physical miniatures directly on the displayed map.

If Realmworks supports scroll and zoom within the map viewer I could then display my maps for use during play vis the Realmworks player view on my second screen and eliminate my VTT software altogether.

rob
February 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM
@Cutter: You should be able to use Realm Works quite readily for your purposes. You can pan and zoom the map. We currently don't super-impose a grid over the map, but that's something we have on our todo list. I'm just not sure whether that feature (the grid) will get in before V1.0 or be added sometime after initial release.

Cutter
February 21st, 2013, 11:35 AM
That sounds awesome. Thanks Rob. You just bought another kickstarter supporter.

An optional, resizable, grid would be absolutely perfect.

The only thing I would add to this would be the ability to "maximize" the map to fill the entire window when desired. I'm not sure how the player display will look, or if that is already possible.

rob
February 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
You'll find a bit about Player View in the main KS video. I believe it starts a little past the 5-minute mark. You can definitely "maximize" the map image if you want. :)

Spence
February 21st, 2013, 08:50 PM
An optional, resizable, grid would be absolutely perfect.

The ability to have an optional, resizable, Square or Hex grid would be absolutely perfect.

:D

Thrantor
February 22nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
The ability to have an optional, resizable, Square or Hex grid would be absolutely perfect.

Vertical and horizontal... Also, see maptools for the correct way to be able to resize the grid... you can do it live overlayed directly on the background map layer. SO easy to line everything up that way.

I know I'm getting ahead of ourselves as well... but two background layers if you guys go VTT is key. One for the very backgroundest map... and then another for objects/things in front of the background.

mirtos
February 22nd, 2013, 08:45 AM
i dont see myself using RealmsWorks for a VTT. The true VTT do a lot more than just show maps, and resize. Personally, I think this product is going to be exceptional and probably shouldnt try to get into the VTT space.

Ladyofdragons
February 22nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
mirtos: agreed, though we don't use a full VTT either because we generally game in person. D20Pro and roll20 just give us more features than we would ever use.

We use Maptools and have a 39" TV/monitor laid horizontally in our table center as the game board. I love all the features like line of sight reveal and light sources, they are definitely a good addition to our game over the old wipe off grid mat and lego minis.

I would certainly consider buying a lone wolf product that had these features, but seems like a separate product to me, not about campaign information management.

mirtos
February 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
i use maptools and all the features, because half of my game is in person, and half in another state. the in person ones get to see their stuff on my TV.

and i agree, this is more of a campaign managemnt project... i think this fills a great need. I might consider getting a lone wolf project for a VTT, but i would rather they concentrate on improving hero lab and realmsworks, two great products, and support existing great VTTs out there. its almost a bad idea for one product to try to do everything. I really appreciate that the LWD seem to understand that.

Thrantor
February 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
Sign me up for anything that interfaces with Roll20.net.

rob
February 22nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Also, see maptools for the correct way to be able to resize the grid... you can do it live overlayed directly on the background map layer. SO easy to line everything up that way.

I know I'm getting ahead of ourselves as well... but two background layers if you guys go VTT is key. One for the very backgroundest map... and then another for objects/things in front of the background.

I haven't seen MapTools personally, but I couldn't imagine doing it any other way than how you've outlined it above. So that's how we're doing it. <shrug>

rob
February 22nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
There are some very basic features of VTTs that will be in Realm Works. These are the features that force many GMs to either deal with all the overhead of a VTT that they don't want or to "go without". For example, showing a map to the players and showing where things are on the map is all very basic stuff. That's about all we're doing within Realm Works. If someone wants a full VTT, they should use a VTT and get all the whizzy features they can use. That's not where we're positioning Realm Works. However, if a GM simply wants to show stuff to the players so they know what's going on, we can provide that within Realm Works.