PDA

View Full Version : High-Space user file

SeeleyOne
August 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I want to make a High-Space user file, or if necessary, source file. High-Space is a new Savage Worlds book by Storyweaver. Adding the character stuff is mostly standard data entry using the editor, which I can do just fine. But I have two problems.

The first issue is Culture. First it would be a Source that is defined in the Configure Hero tab (as its own source being Culture, separate from High-Space). This part of it is easy. It will have two effects that I am nor sure how to do in Hero Lab. The first is that it would reduce the Skill Points to 12, the second is you would select a Culture just like you do in the Race selection menu, except that it is its own menu. Then after you select it, just like it is a race, it will give you up to three skills at d4, an edge or an attribute (basically it spends three of your points for you). Then if you have the High-Space source checked it will list those that High-Space details. In itself it can be used for any setting, which is why I want it separate from High-Space.

The second issue is even more complex. Hero Lab could be used to make a Starship. I figure that you could put Starship as a "race". When activated it hides the usual attributes tab, edge tab, hindrance tab, and pretty much most of the tabs. It also unhides a Starship Trait tab, a Starship Crew tab, Starship Edge tab, and any other tab that is needed for a starship.

The Crew tab needs to list Wild Card characters on it, as well as their individual experience totals. Based on their individual totals it will generate Crew Aquisition points (every so many XP grants so many points), and using those points will generate an Aquisition Rating. The Aquisition rating is what determines how many Starship edges and Starship Trait points are available. Then a Design needs to be selected, which is basically a race that gives some modifiers to an attribute and a few other ratings. It also determines how many payloads and hardpoints that the vessel has. You can also choose starship hindrances.

To put items on a starship you spend Starship edges. Many things have an additional cost (in addition to paying an Edge) in Payload and/or Hardpoints.

If the Ship Edge of Positronic Computer is selected, suddenly the starship becomes an characte that lacks a body. Otherwise it can gain XP, which is adds to the Acquisition Rating as if it were a crew member. But it has the mental traits of Smarts, Agility, and Spirit. It can also spend its own Edges on other Starship edges (probably just by spending an Edge on the edge menu to add a starship edge).

But wait, there is more, I want to add that the Positronic computer could then spend one of its edges (maybe a starship edge, I can't decide) and have a Remote Android Body, thus making it able to be a full character.

If this is something that only Lone Wolf can do, please PM or email me about it. I have been talking to Storyweaver about it. Maybe an agreement can mbe made. If it is not too much money I might just pay it myself. But if I can be told how to do it, I would rather just do the work.

CapedCrusader
August 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
For the first, it sounds like you could use the Faction mechanism. Go ahead and create your new Source (Culture). You can hang a Mechanism record off of that Source to do the Skill point reduction. Then you could create a Setting Adjustment record for Culture that would enable the Factions, and call them Culture. Then you create the individual Culture types, and use those to hang your other adjustments off of (three Skills at d4, an Edge, etc.)

The second bit about the starships would take a serious amount of programming. Adding new tabs is serious mojo.

SeeleyOne
August 16th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I had wondered after the Faction after I posted about the Culture part. In the data it is for deities. But it appears that it really can be for anything so I will give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

Looking in the data that is already provided, I can't quite figure out how to add a skill at the d4 rating. So far all that I can get it to do is add skill points instead of adding a skill. :/ The closest examples that I have found so far add edges, except that they are racial abilities and not edges. Can you add an actual edge? And when you do so, not have it count towards that edge total? The same would need to go for a hindrance in many potential cases.

I am thinking that the best bet is to use the excel spreadsheet for the starship part.

CapedCrusader
August 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Look at the Racial Property that adds a free Skill at d6.

You can bootstrap an Edge to something else. If it gives you issues with the total, you can bump it manually.

SeeleyOne
August 21st, 2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the idea, that is all that I have been able to get it to do so far, where it adds skill points and you do it manually. The Half-Folk has an ability that it like the Luck edge, but it does not actually add the Luck edge (you can get it twice). For those edges that require the Luck edge, I suppose you could make it compare that luck ability as well.

Doing things manually works, but it is not as efficient as having it just plop the skill down at d4 (or whatever). That is the one thing that I like about using MS Excel, as for everything else Hero Lab is far superior.

I would like to make it so that when you get an Arcane Background it automatically selects a d4 in its appropriate skill. It would not make it free, but it would make sure it is on your already-selected list of skills.

SeeleyOne
August 23rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
I should say that it is easy to add a skill, edge. or hindrance to a character through bootstraps. However, if it is a race, or you already paid for it somehow, it is good to give a free edge or skill point to pay for it.

jbearwillis
February 20th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Just an update - I'm in contact with the guys at StoryWeaver and they are working with me to get the answers I need to finish the first release of the High-Space data files. So hopefully I will be able to have a release of v1.0 of the data files out in a short amount of time.
Cheers and Peace out
JBear

Krimson
February 21st, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'm going to keep an eye on this. I'm still learning Savage Worlds and have been considering purchasing High Space (hesitant to spent $15 for PDFs and would much rather spend more on print copies, which apparently are coming) for use in play by post games. So a user file would be the push I need to purchase it.

jbearwillis
February 21st, 2013, 09:18 PM
It's a great game or at least I think it is.