PDA

View Full Version : Races

Gryndehl
July 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
In the editor there is both a racial ability and a racial property tab. Not entirely sure what the logical distinction is. Tutorial 13 on races only mentions properties and does not go into abilities at all. I guess what I am getting at is when is it appropriate to use ability and when is it appropriate to use property?

CapedCrusader
July 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
The Racial Abilities are used for Creatures and appear in the Abilities tab as the Monstrous Abilities.

The Racial Properties are used to build Races using the Making Races section in the Savage Worlds Deluxe rules (and the Fantasy Companion and Slipstream, if memory serves). We couldn't call them Abilities because that had already been taken.

Gryndehl
July 27th, 2012, 05:19 AM
At work right now so I can't check, but if I remember right, the little info description about the editor tab for both mentioned characters but only one mentioned creatures. Also I believe the default available races were making use of both. For example there was an abSmall for the hobbit analogue (can't remember what it was called).

Gryndehl
July 27th, 2012, 05:57 PM
After looking at things further, I am guessing the abilities tab is there for backwards compatibility with explorers edition (so previous stuff didn't break) and new stuff should use the properties tab.

CapedCrusader
July 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
The Racial Properties are specifically for the new Race Building System, that's all they are used for. There's no way add Racial Properties directly to a character, they are bootstrapped to a Race record in the Editor.

Gryndehl
July 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I was attaching these to races in the race editor, was not trying to attach them to characters directly by any means.