PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting starting cash and another question

Gumbytie
July 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Okay,

Have been digging around and learned a few more things :)

Question 1:
So I am able to adjust starting cash up with the following "Mechanics"
<eval phase="Initialize">
herofield[acCashMult].value += 1
</eval>

How would I set the starting cash to $250 instead of the normal $500? The above sets it to $1000, BTW. I tried -=1 and ended up with zero starting cash :)

Question 2:
So using Factions, I am creating the functionality of "Nationalities" for Ragnarok (or any other game where needed). This works fine:
<eval phase="Initialize"><![CDATA[
perform hero.assign[Hero.NoRace]
perform hero.assign[Hero.FactionReq]
herofield[acFactTerm].text = "Nationality"]]>
</eval>

Now I want to reflect the bonus given to starting Americans, they get an additional skill point at creation to spend on either Fighting or Shooting. I am able to establish the additional Skill Point doing the following "Mechanics":
<eval phase="Setup" priority="8000">
#resmax[resSkill] += 1
</eval>

But that can be spent on anything. Any ideas how to limit that 'bonus' skill point only towards Fighting or Shooting?

CapedCrusader
July 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM
The trick with changing the actual starting value is that you really can't do it with the Cash Multiplier. That needs to be there to deal with Edges and Hindrances that change the starting value with that multiplier. Raising it is easy, lowering it - not so much. Using a multiplier to reduce the value only works if it's a separate equation than increasing it.

What I did in Deadlands was this:
herofield[acCashCfg].value = 250

Now, since this field is normally not changeable by a script, it needs to be preceded by a trustme statement to tell the system to go ahead and make the change. So:

trustme
herofield[acCashCfg].value = 250

instead of herofield[acCashMult].value += 1. I also did it at Setup/4000. Don't forget to add a priority to all eval scripts.

As to the other question, no, there isn't a way to require a certain Skill point be spent in a certain way. It can display a warning or an error if a certain number of points (0 or more) aren't spent in a given Skill, but that's all.

You could create a pair of Factions, one for Fighting and one for Shooting and automatically add the level to the proper Skill that way, though.

tatteredking
July 19th, 2012, 05:22 AM
are Races used in DAR? Could you make the Nationalities Races instead of Factions?

Gumbytie
July 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
The code for Starting Cash did indeed work.

And while I could have worked on other portion as Races, I wanted to leave those alone. In some games, Races matter. So using the Factions for 'nationalities' and bonus starting Edges or Skills worked out best.

I never resolved my Question 2 perfectly, I just ended up making a free starting skill point for that nationality. I figured every one of my players was going to either get Shooting or Fighting (or both) at character creation, at least one point would be spent on them anyways. So for now, that works fine.

Which means I have pretty much finished up my Dataset for Ragnarok. Now on to Gaslight.