PDA

View Full Version : Authoring Kit Update

thedarkelf007
July 17th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hi Guys, Is there a new authoring kit update to take advantage of updates to the various systems.

i.e. Shadowrun in particular has made some great updates to the interface that would be useful to other systems.

Mathias
July 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Everything in all the systems has always been accessible through the authoring kit - it's just that by the time I wrote Shadowrun, I had Pathfinder, Cortex, and Call of Cthulhu under my belt, so experience made for a better game system.

It's just a matter of the time required to patch the other systems to add all that functionality.

thedarkelf007
July 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
No complaints here :)

Will there be some sort of tutorial to show how to create items like you do in Shadowrun?

Mathias
July 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Please be more specific about what sort of information you're looking for.

thedarkelf007
July 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Well how do I create/display the items (equipment/weapons/etc) that the character can have attached to it with the option of having notes and name changes?

It might be something simple that I have overlooked, but it would be great to implement that in my Star Wars version I am working on.

When I get some free time in the next few weeks I was going back to it and look at getting equipment to work.

Mathias
July 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Here's the wiki page about components: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/Component_Element_(Data)

I think you're looking for the "usernamable" option.

Notes just require a text field to store what the user types (with maxlength="5000" - the largest HL can support). In terms of how to display that to the user, go to tab_journal.dat, and grab the notes portal from the jrPick template, and just change the name of the field that portal is pointing at when you re-use it.

I'd recommend creating a "Notes" component in components.core that stores that field - then, you can add that component to the compset of everything you want to have notes, and you won't need to remember the Ids of the fields you used in each case, because you're using the same field in every case.