PDA

View Full Version : Adding power to ally spirit

thedarkelf007
July 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Guys,

How can I add a new power to an ally spirit summoned by a magician?

I can get powers to an ally spirit that is not summoned (i.e attached to a character) but I can't seem to create powers for one that is attached to a character.

Context of I've allowed astral gateway as a power for an ally spirit in my game and we can't select it as an option when the ally is summoned, but we can if its created separate to the player.

The issue with this is we then can't keep track of the karma spend

Mathias
July 17th, 2012, 08:49 AM
In the editor, go to the Race, Ally Spirit tab, and press "New (Copy)", choose the type of Ally Spirit you want to copy, and select it (and while you're in that list, write down the Id - rsAllyMate - that's in parentheses next to the name).

Unfortunately, the package restrictions will probably prevent you from saving that copy directly, so press "New (Blank)". Switch back and forth between the copy and the blank version, making everything a duplicate of the original - make sure the Tags and Bootstraps buttons in the top left report the same number of entries on each version.

Now, enter a new Id for your new version of this race - I generally just add an "A" or a "1" to the end of the original Id when I'm creating replacements, so my suggestion in this case is to use rsAllyMatA. Next, find the "Replaces Thing Id" box on the right-hand side, and enter the original Id there - rsAllyMate.

Delete the orginal copy, leaving only the version that you're allowed to save.

Now that you've created a replacement for the existing ally spirit race, it's actually pretty simple to modify it so that Astral Gateway is an optional power - in the center section of the editor, find the "Optional Powers" button, click it, and choose "Astral Gateway" from the list.

Unfortunately, the "Test Now!" button doesn't handle replacements well, so close the editor, and press ctrl-r to quick-reload the Shadowrun files, which will incorporate your change.

thedarkelf007
July 17th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks I will give it a try later today, though as I'm used to working with hero lab files in notepad it will be a nice change to use an editor.