PDA

View Full Version : Race Starts with D8 in Skill

Talison
May 13th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Trying to have a race start with Knowledge (Occult) at a D8. Copied my Racial Property for another Race that was Swimming at d6. Did everything the same except increasing the skill bonus. Here's the error it gives me when I test.

Hero Lab was forced to stop compilation after the following errors were detected:

Thing 'Free_Kno' - Linked thing 'skKnow' must be specified as unique

What am I missing?

technorat
May 14th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Hi Talison,

The Liche in Savage Worlds has the same skill. For knowledge skills you also need to specify a domain since they are not unique:

<bootstrap thing="skKnow">
<autotag group="SkillDie" tag="8"/>
<assignval field="domDomain" value="Occult"/>
</bootstrap>

Talison
May 14th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Doing it this way it adds Knowledge Occult at a d4 and still charges me the skill point for it.

CapedCrusader
May 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
The reason it give you the error is that Knowledge is a a unique Skill in that it's not unique. All of the other Skills are able to be linked directly to Attributes. This linkage requires the Skill to be unique. Since the Knowledge Skill isn't unique (you can take it several times and give each one a different Focus) is can't take advantage of this. Since the source of the copy is a unique Skill, it's code does some things that won't work with Knowledge.

What it also means is that you found the bug before I could release the fix. This is fixed in the next update. I had to create a separate Free Skill entry in Racial Properties for Knowledge Skills, since they're handled differently (no linkage).

If you're patient, the next update will be out very soon and it will allow you to do this easily.

CapedCrusader
May 15th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Oh, and you didn't miss anything, you did it exactly right.