PDA

View Full Version : BattleTech: A Time of War RPG

gleamingterier
December 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I'm curious if anyone has started work on a BattleTech RPG/A Time of War game system? I've started one myself, and I'm wondering if I haven't bit off more than I can chew. Anyone want to work with me on this? And is there anyone familiar with both system that can tell me if rooting around in the Shadowrun HL code can help me out? How similar are the systems?

chiefweasel
December 14th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Not sure, but a BT system would be great.

DthShdw
December 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I've thought about it, but for a couple of small problems: 1) My programming/scripting ability is barely better than negligible. I have difficulty even working in html. My mind just refuses to work in any fashion that computer languages can comprehend. and 2) I am actually not familiar with the A Time of War edition of the BT RPG. I've worked with both 2nd and 3rd edition of MechWarrior, but those were both back when Fasa still owned the properties. I have no idea if A Time of War is a revised 3rd edition or not, though that would be a difficult (though not impossible) system to implement to make a character generator for if it is. I love the lifepath system that was in 3rd edition (reminded me a lot of the one in Cyberpunk 2020, but more detailed, and more options), but it made character creation a really long process until you had it down pretty well.

Agyess
December 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM
And is there anyone familiar with both system that can tell me if rooting around in the Shadowrun HL code can help me out? How similar are the systems?

The two systems are radically different and it is highly unlikely there's much of use in the SR HL files.

Agyess
December 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
... I have no idea if A Time of War is a revised 3rd edition or not, though that would be a difficult (though not impossible) system to implement to make a character generator for if it is. I love the lifepath system that was in 3rd edition ..., but it made character creation a really long process until you had it down pretty well.

It is pretty much a direct descendant of 3rd ed. For someone who is familiar with the authoring kit (not me) I would guess it's as straight forward as any other game if you stick with the strict point-buy. Trying to do the life path might be exceedingly difficult. Though I'd very much like to see someone try! :)

gleamingterier
December 17th, 2011, 05:03 AM
It is pretty much a direct descendant of 3rd ed. For someone who is familiar with the authoring kit (not me) I would guess it's as straight forward as any other game if you stick with the strict point-buy. Trying to do the life path might be exceedingly difficult. Though I'd very much like to see someone try! :)

Yeah, I'm doing point-buy only. This is my first attempt at coding anything, so I'm not even going to try to open that can of worms.

gleamingterier
December 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Trying to do the life path might be exceedingly difficult. Though I'd very much like to see someone try! :)

Have any systems using lifepaths been coded for Hero Lab, either officially or via the Authoring Kit? I've looked, and I haven't seen any.

gleamingterier
July 22nd, 2012, 11:14 AM
So, I've taken a break for a while, but I'm trying to get this back up and running. Here are a few screenshots to show my progress, what little of it there is...

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/GleamingTerrier/atow_basics1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/GleamingTerrier/atow_skills1.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/GleamingTerrier/atow_traits1.jpg

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get some traits that are variable and some that aren't, like so...

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/GleamingTerrier/sr_qualities1.jpg

cryptoknight
July 23rd, 2012, 03:15 AM
Need any help? I can't claim to be an expert at this level, but I've swung the hammer a few times at SR4e and D&D 4e.

Adrian Gideon
August 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM
My group's going to start up an AToW campaign in the next 6 months or so, I wouldn't mind taking a look or even tinkering around if it'd help. I'd need to purchase the Authoring Kit to do so, right?

BlueStryker
November 5th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Hi, I'm interested in helping out with this project. This game system is the main reason I got the Authoring Kit, but I'm still trying to figure everything out. I do have a basic understanding of writing scripts and even have a couple possible ideas for including the life path modules. If you'd be willing to allow me the use of what you've got started I would gladly see what I can do to help get this system onto Hero Lab.

Noven
March 24th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Wow this would be an awesome project. I have been looking for a way to do AtoW with Hero Lab forever. Sign me up!

Noven
March 26th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Yeah this would be totally awesome if there was an update.

BlueStryker
March 27th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Well I never heard from the other person who had started working on this so I've been working on building it from the ground up myself. I'm still learning all the specifics for creating a game system in Hero Lab, but so far I have the basic character stats down and am working on functionallity.. I'll fix the look of it last.

Noven
March 27th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Well I never heard from the other person who had started working on this so I've been working on building it from the ground up myself. I'm still learning all the specifics for creating a game system in Hero Lab, but so far I have the basic character stats down and am working on functionallity.. I'll fix the look of it last.

Yeah that is awesome. If you need someone to bounce ideas off of, hit me up. I got the authoring kit, and sometimes another set of eyes can be useful.

BlueStryker
April 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah that is awesome. If you need someone to bounce ideas off of, hit me up. I got the authoring kit, and sometimes another set of eyes can be useful.

Thank you, I'll take any help I can get, lol. Before I start bounding ideas your way I'd like to get an understanding of how experienced you are; how much do you know about XML and how it's used in HL? I'd still consider myself an amature but I understand XML pretty well, just haven't fully gotten the hang of HL's use of it yet.

Noven
April 2nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
Thank you, I'll take any help I can get, lol. Before I start bounding ideas your way I'd like to get an understanding of how experienced you are; how much do you know about XML and how it's used in HL? I'd still consider myself an amature but I understand XML pretty well, just haven't fully gotten the hang of HL's use of it yet.
Oh by all means, I know little about XML and its use in HL. I got the authoring kit for stuff like this. I have been messing around with the kit to work with AToW, but I am not really a programmer. Basically if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, I am your man =).

BlueStryker
April 4th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Oh by all means, I know little about XML and its use in HL. I got the authoring kit for stuff like this. I have been messing around with the kit to work with AToW, but I am not really a programmer. Basically if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, I am your man =).

Cool.. Well I sent you a PM with some things to start off with. There's quite a bit so just take your time, there's no big hurry to answer everything at once.

TCArknight
July 1st, 2013, 02:35 PM
I recently got the BT:AToW book, so I'm also game to help with questions, ideas, etc... :) experienced HL coder as well of need that too :)

BlueStryker
September 4th, 2013, 03:14 AM
I recently got the BT:AToW book, so I'm also game to help with questions, ideas, etc... :) experienced HL coder as well of need that too :)

Thanks for the offer to help. I've been busy so haven't touch it in a while but going to get back into now that things have settled a bit. I'll definitely be needing your experience as a HL coder, and hope you don't mind teaching an amateur.. Well not a complete amateur but still have a lot to learn. I'll post a summery of what I've got completed and some of the things I'm trying to work on right now. Thanks again.

TCArknight
September 4th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Looking forward to it. :)

There are still quite a lot of issues that I have to reach out and find help on, but I'm glad to say the whole forum is a true font of knowledge and willing to share. ;)

BlueStryker
September 4th, 2013, 03:57 AM
As mentioned in my previous post, here's a rundown on what I've completed and what still needs to be done.

I've put the starting resources (5000 XP and 1000 C-bills when you're configuring your character with the ability to change the defaults if needed. I still need to add a choice between having an Inner Sphere character or a Clan character so that I can divide up the affiliations and any unique qualities that each posses.

I've added the Attributes, and they are working as needed. I've also added the Skills, however, I need to work on the mechanics for them. Mostly, I need to give some Skills drop-down choices for their Subskills, and I need to find a way to differentiate between the Tiered Skills Basic vs. Advanced forms. I also need to fix the mechanic that adds two Attributes to some skills (single Attributes are working fine). I've only added one Trait as of now to test the XP cost mechanics.

I seem to have most of the XP costs worked out, but I am still working on the mechanics for the Life Modules that keeps track of the partial XP amounts the modules give (I.E It takes 200XP to have an Attribute at 2 but a module choice may only give 50XP toward that Attribute) so that HL will correctly alter the stats as needed.

The Health, and Fatigue are working properly, and the basic Initiative is fine (Doesn't account for bonuses from Skills yet). I've also still got a lot of work to do on adding everything into HL and the mechanics of it all.

For now I intend to completely add the Character Traits, and Equipment (Not touching any Mechs or Vehicles yet), and working on the money mechanics. Any questions or suggestions are welcome.

BlueStryker
September 4th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Oh! I have asked for help in the Authoring Kit forum so to save on some time on part of what needs to be done you can read over what's already been discussed here.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=29273

LeeSmith
September 7th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Is this a working system yet? I'd love to get it.

Mithosaurion
February 8th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know if this ever went anywhere?