PDA

View Full Version : Background benefits

silversonic
February 15th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hello. Just wanted to send my thanks for a great program. I switched to herolab after Wizards downgraded* their character builder and I thoroughly enjoy using it.

I have a question regarding background benefits: I cannot find a way to actually apply the benefit, specifically in this case the ability to train in a skill. Is there a workaround or some kind of override I could use to make up for this, or am I missing something?

Thanks much for any help.

-Devin

*YMMV, I hate it.

Colen
March 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Once you pick a background, if it has a benefit associated with it, the benefit should be automatically applied. (Sometimes a menu will appear beside the "Background" chooser that lets you pick an associated skill for the background.)

If that's not happening, it's a bug with the background - which one(s) are you having trouble with?

arisath
March 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I am having a similar problem. I believe the issue is not that it doesn't give him skills, but that it doesn't give him the option of adding them to his class skill list.
I myself took a language as my background benefit, but that is not an option in the drop down menu.

SAbel
April 2nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hey guys,
What type of background are you wondering about? For example the Akanul one adds the resist(s) as soon as you pick it.

RavenX
April 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
The biggest problem with the backgrounds is that they are supposed to add the option of taking skill training in one or two skills, or a +2 bonus in one of them, or an extra language... I have found that the training option doesn't show up at all for the characters when a background is selected. I have fixed it with a permanent adjustment in the personal tab.

Colen
April 4th, 2011, 10:37 AM
The skill training should be fixed as of one or two updates ago, as long as you re-ran the downloader since then. For example, the "Accursed Lineage" background lets you choose History, Intimidate or Religion to add to - the menu appears beside the background choice when you choose it. If this isn't working, or if there's a specific background it's not working for, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

Hope this helps!

RavenX
April 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Actually the choice selection is not working for all the backgrounds. I found the drop down box, but the problem is with the general backgrounds. Those are supposed to give a choice between either a +2 bonus to one of the associated skills or let the player choose that skill as a class skill... and its not letting me select the skill as a class skill only conferring the +2 bonus.

Colen
April 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Ah! I'll see if I can get this fixed, thanks for bringing it up.

RavenX
April 9th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Its not a problem I just wanted to make sure you saw the clarification people were complaining about. I can fix some things under the permanent adjustments but skill training in non class skills isn't one of them. Thanks for taking care of this.