PDA

View Full Version : Successful download but still no data

CNYGamer
February 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Hi all.

I'm a longtime HL user for a different game system. After finally having had enough of the new WotC CB I decided to spend the money to add 4E to my HL account.

I downloaded the 4E data using my DDI account overnight last night. The DDI Downloader said the download was successful. Then I started up HL (on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine I had to do it in administrator mode) and tried to create a 4E character but all the data is still missing. For example when I click to "Select Class" for the character I get the message "Nothing to choose from." And it's like that for pretty much all 4E material.

Is there an additional step that I'm missing after I download the 4E data?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

CNYGamer

Maidhc O Casain
February 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM
What CNYGamer said, only I use 32 bit Windows 7.

Spence
February 6th, 2011, 11:18 AM
This happened to me as well.

I went back and made sure I had the latest HL update 2.7. IIRC it was to fix issues with pulling the data from WotC. I then shut down my system, powered down all the way. No stand by and so on. Actually pulled the plug. Sure this might be superstition, but just humor me here. Came back a few hours later and the download went like clock work and everything (except the already noted 1st level powers) was there.

I am pretty sure my system had something that wasn't updating until I did the hard boot.

CNYGamer
February 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Well I have it working now. I uninstalled HL and reinstalled it in the Public folder. I ran the DDI Downloader in Administrator mode. When the download was complete I shut down my computer and started it back up again. Then I ran HL in Administrator mode and imported the downloaded DDI information. Everything is working well now. I'm not sure which step or steps above made this work but it is working well.

Goodbye under-performing, under-featured WotC CB, hello 4E HeroLab.

CNYGamer

Moratu
February 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I am having this problem myself. I just recently bought the program, as I knew I would be happy with it just from looking at the demo, at least in comparison to the new, online only, no house rules, DDI CB.

I waited for all of the compendium information to be downloaded, but now I am looking at "no files to choose from" whenever I click on an empty tab. I uninstalled and reinstalled to the public folder, while moving the old data I downloaded to the new install directory. This didn't work, so I am going to try redownloading the information (and going to bed as it takes 5ish hours) and hope for the best in the morning. I will post on whether or not redownloading and reinstalling helped or not. I do know I did not have administrator settings for the downloader itself the first time. Maybe that was all I needed. If so, I am going to definitely request a sticky for this.

P.S. Like the others, on Windows 7. 64 bit here.

Moratu
February 21st, 2011, 04:55 AM
Alright, after a night of redownloading, the program now works as intended. Reinstalling to my public folder and enabling administrative rights for the DDIDownloader seemed to make the difference. In all honesty, it could have been just one or the other, but it can't hurt to do both.

Does anyone think this warrants a new topic with a sticky request? If so, I would be glad to set it up. Saving someone between 5 and 10 hours of time just because they are on Windows 7 can't be a bad thing, right? I wish I had seen this topic before I started my initial install and download.

Colen
March 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
The downloader should automatically check whether it can write to the appropriate folder before downloading. If it downloads but you can't see the files, click the "Compatibility Files" button in the window toolbar - Windows may have hidden the files somewhere, and you can simply move them back to the proper folder.

(This will be resolved in the next version of Hero Lab, which installs files to user-writable folders, so this problem doesn't occur.)