PDA

View Full Version : D&D Compendium Problem - **** IMPORTANT! ****

Colen
February 3rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hello all,

(This post is related to version 2.7 of the 4e data files, which will be releasing shortly.)

There is currently a bug in the D&D Compendium, which means that 1st-level powers for Wizards cannot be accessed. Any search you make that tries to display a certain subset of wizard powers simply fails. Try it yourself on their web site - trying to view the list of wizard powers has no result, while trying to see the list of Druid powers (for example) works fine.

This means that Hero Lab's 4e downloader, which relies on the D&D Compendium to download data, cannot download certain wizard powers. We've done our best to work around this - level 2+ wizard powers are still downloaded, and if you have an older version of the 4e data, the powers will be automatically migrated from that older version. However:

People without a D&D Insider username and password will not be able to pick class powers this release.

People with a D&D Insider username and password attempting to download from the compendium for the first time will not be able to use 1st-level wizard powers in their characters.

Unfortunately, because of the Compendium bug, there is no way to work around this at the present time.

The issue has been a problem for over two weeks now, and has been reported to Wizards of the Coast, with this response:

Thank you for reporting this bug. We appreciate your help in improving our product.
We will submit your issue to our developers for review. I can not guarantee any further follow up with you about this bug but we may contact you for further information. .

We're hoping that they fix it soon, so that normal downloader service will be resumed. Until then, unfortunately wizard powers may not be available. :(

If you're currently using a previous version of the downloaded 4e data, especially if you don't have a D&D Insider username and password, you may want to avoid running the downloader this month.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Spence
February 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Actually if you are attempting a first time download and do not have an login/password the downloader still completely fails.

I just tested mine and the aborts when it hits a problem instead of passing it and loading what it can.

Mostly a FYI. I primarily use HL for SW and M&M.

Colen
February 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Spence, are you using the updated downloader included in the 2.7 update? The old downloader will still fail.

RavenX
February 5th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Thank you colen! I appreciate your hard work and feedback. You've given us more than WOTC does as far as customer support and it is very much appreciated.

SAbel
February 5th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Anyone know how long the download runs now? I am just starting it so I'll give my time when its done but just thought that I would check with everyone eles.
Wow 65 pages of power index that seems new/ different. Talk to everyone soon.

maxinux
February 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Anyone know how long the download runs now? I am just starting it so I'll give my time when its done but just thought that I would check with everyone eles.
Wow 65 pages of power index that seems new/ different. Talk to everyone soon.

I ran it yesterday and it took about 5 hours.

SAbel
February 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Okay Just finished (about) messed with it a bit.
My Wizard powers are working, I have a DDI and have had updates since HL supported 4E so they do import back in.
Have not seen a way to get Dark Sun Themes in, guessing that is still in the works.

Spence
February 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Spence, are you using the updated downloader included in the 2.7 update? The old downloader will still fail.

Somehow my reply didn't take.

Anyway here goes again.

I updated to 2.7 but still didn't work. I looked closer at the error and it was different. So I shut down my system and let it rest overnight (old guy technician superstition) and then tried again. Loaded fine with your noted exceptions.

Works good despite my best efforts ;)

RavenX
February 6th, 2011, 01:30 AM
The Dark Sun themes were not on compendium as of last months update, Hero Lab can't get data that isn't in compendium, but if the data is there i'd definitely like to get it myself. My players love the themes. I don't think it would be a hard modification for Hero Lab to support but WOTC would have to post the data for the downloader to get it first. And it would have to be updated to account for it. Coding is not fun, it can be frustrating. I do love what Hero Lab enables me to do though and I appreciate the hard work Lone Wolf Dev. does to keep it running ^_^

SAbel
February 6th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I think that the themes might have to be a a tab unto themselves, simular to paragon and epic. The base DS info is there: powers, backgrounds ect. but I am not sure about the themes themselves.
Programming is an Epic Class feat LMAO, I only make it into the basics then get really stuck.

remoore2891
February 19th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Do we know anything else about this yet? I was going to run all my updates, but don't want to until I get official word from either Lone Wolf or WotC that this bug issue is resolved, and wading through the Wizards forums for answers is painful.

RavenX
February 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Wading through the WOTC forums is like searching for truth in a political statement made by a politician running for election or re-election. I gave up on WOTC customer support and service a long long time ago.

Stumblefish
February 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

Just bought the 4th Ed pack after a long time away. Used to have the M&M Hero Lab on an old PC and was fantastic.

Been playing D&D and decided to get Hero Lab again but have hit a snag and it sounds related to this but I seem to be experiencing it more broadly. Grabbed the DDI as suggested but all classes are missing all at will powers (All other power types are there), attribute bonuses are not transferring to skills or HP's, levelling isn't affecting HP's or surges and class and race relevant proficiencies are not populating. I may just be being an idiot and have missed something in the manual. I'm going to give it 5 or 10 minutes before sleep but it is very late and I've already lost an hour to this. Are any other newbies seeing similar problems?

Cheers.

Spence
February 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Right now it looks like you can download all the information if you have a Insider Account. If you don't, you will not get a complete load.

I do not have an account and I never was able to get everything. But a friend of mine that actually plays D&D4th has an account and had no problems getting everything.

It appears that WotC is limiting available information to people that are not subscribed.

Stumblefish
February 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
thanks spence, i picked up a one month sub to insider and I'm now running just fine. Cheers for the heads up dude.

Stu

RavenX
February 22nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Apparently WOTC fixed 200 bugs in compendium on the 7th of the month... which was problem one or two syntax errors. I don't miss compiling code. That is a lot of bugs though.