PDA

View Full Version : New Update - v2.6

Colen
December 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hey everyone,

I've just updated the Hero Lab 4e data files to version 2.6. As always, you can find them through the Hero Lab automatic updates mechanism.

Changes this version:

• Updated the downloader to support the December compendium update.
• Fixed a few of the bugs that have been reported.

As usual, please let me know if you find any problems. I know there are a bunch of bugs reported that haven't been addressed; I apologize for that, but unfortunately (due to the update breaking the downloader, plus some other urgent tasks that got dumped in my lap) I couldn't find the time to work on them. I'll get more of them resolved with the next update.

Also, I attempted to get the new Essentials classes converted into HL with the downloader. Unfortunately, due to how they're listed in the Compendium, it's going to be a lot more work than I thought to do this. :( I'm hoping to address this with next month's update, also.

Thanks for your patience!

cryptoknight
December 10th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Superior Implements still don't show.

Adding a new implement to inventory doesn't allow me to specify that it's a superior implement either.

cryptoknight
December 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Can't you just give us a page where we can select which items show up as power cards? There are too many weapons and other items with properties. I'd really just like to have a power card for every item if I choose.

cryptoknight
December 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM
If I actually equip a superior implement (non-magical) non of the properties show.

For instance I made a lvl 1 wizard and gave him the feat Superior Implement Training - Dragontooth Wand.

I then bought a Dragontooth wand for him. And non of the properties of the Dragontooth wand show.

Those being:

Deadly: You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls made with a deadly implement, the bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level).
Unerring: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against reflex when attacking with an unerring implement.

These properties don't show anywhere.

cryptoknight
December 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Rather than use a forum to report bugs... why not install something like Bugzilla and let us post them there? Then we can track them individually and you have something simpler to follow to fix them all.

remoore2891
December 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Also, I attempted to get the new Essentials classes converted into HL with the downloader. Unfortunately, due to how they're listed in the Compendium, it's going to be a lot more work than I thought to do this. :( I'm hoping to address this with next month's update, also.

Disappointing, but understandable. Riddle me this: If I run the Compendium downloader, say, near the end of December but prior to your update that works out the kinks, will I have the full functionality of the Essentials classes once I download that patch?

Basically, WotC is falling down on the job of getting their own builder functioning as intended, and if they don't get their act together by the time my renewal comes up in January, I intend to cancel my DDI account. I'd prefer not to have to pay for an extra month of their sub-par service if I can be assured that your future updates will work with the available Compendium data.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Colen
December 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Superior Implements still don't show.

Adding a new implement to inventory doesn't allow me to specify that it's a superior implement either.

These are among some of the outstanding bugs that I referred to as not being fixed. :( They're still on my list to look at - unfortunately I'm being pulled in too many different directions right now to give the 4e files the time they deserve. Hopefully things will have calmed down a bit next month...

Colen
December 13th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Disappointing, but understandable. Riddle me this: If I run the Compendium downloader, say, near the end of December but prior to your update that works out the kinks, will I have the full functionality of the Essentials classes once I download that patch?

Basically, WotC is falling down on the job of getting their own builder functioning as intended, and if they don't get their act together by the time my renewal comes up in January, I intend to cancel my DDI account. I'd prefer not to have to pay for an extra month of their sub-par service if I can be assured that your future updates will work with the available Compendium data.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Unfortunately not. :( The format of the data in the D&D compendium changes every month; usually this is just in minor ways that you don't notice, for example using two line breaks somewhere instead of just one to separate certain types of data. However, these are important "cues" that the downloader uses to recognize parts of powers, classes, feats, etc.

As a result, the downloader for January likely won't work with content from December, let alone November, October, etc. This is why the downloader sometimes stops working when content for a new month comes out - the format changed in some small yet significant way that it doesn't have the smarts to handle. Trying to run the downloader against old (or new) data is likely to cause it to crash, or produce data files that Hero Lab doesn't parse properly, or at the least omit important data. :(

Sorry!

Colen
December 13th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Can't you just give us a page where we can select which items show up as power cards? There are too many weapons and other items with properties. I'd really just like to have a power card for every item if I choose.

Oops - I forgot that I needed to add a little "print" button for magic items as well. I'll try and stick this into the next update.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Colen
December 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Rather than use a forum to report bugs... why not install something like Bugzilla and let us post them there? Then we can track them individually and you have something simpler to follow to fix them all.

We've considered this in the past, but it's not something we've used yet (partly because we don't want to worry about telling people "discuss this in the bug tracker, not the forums). It's definitely something we'll consider going forward.

Colen
December 13th, 2010, 10:57 PM
If I actually equip a superior implement (non-magical) non of the properties show.

For instance I made a lvl 1 wizard and gave him the feat Superior Implement Training - Dragontooth Wand.

I then bought a Dragontooth wand for him. And non of the properties of the Dragontooth wand show.

Those being:

Deadly: You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls made with a deadly implement, the bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level).
Unerring: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against reflex when attacking with an unerring implement.

These properties don't show anywhere.

These bonuses should show up on the attack / damage rolls on the Special tab; try equipping a regular wand with your Dragontooth wand. The Dragontooth Wand gets +1 to attack and damage over the regular wand.

cryptoknight
December 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
We've considered this in the past, but it's not something we've used yet (partly because we don't want to worry about telling people "discuss this in the bug tracker, not the forums). It's definitely something we'll consider going forward.

Is there a bug tracker integration with vBulletin? Then you could have both... I'd just like to know which reported issues are on track to be fixed.

Deathdealer
December 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'm willing to be patient. At least you actually take the time to show up and answer our questions unlike a certain game company, and that makes quite a bit of difference to me as a customer.

RavenX
January 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM
The inherent bonuses for Dark Sun can be managed via the personal tab, except for one detail... there is no modifier to damage. I can put in alterations to account for defenses and attack modifier. but not damage. Thats the only flaw I have found so far.

RavenX
January 5th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately not. :( The format of the data in the D&D compendium changes every month; usually this is just in minor ways that you don't notice, for example using two line breaks somewhere instead of just one to separate certain types of data. However, these are important "cues" that the downloader uses to recognize parts of powers, classes, feats, etc.

As a result, the downloader for January likely won't work with content from December, let alone November, October, etc. This is why the downloader sometimes stops working when content for a new month comes out - the format changed in some small yet significant way that it doesn't have the smarts to handle. Trying to run the downloader against old (or new) data is likely to cause it to crash, or produce data files that Hero Lab doesn't parse properly, or at the least omit important data. :(

Sorry!

Thanks for all the work on the downloader.
I appreciate it since WOTC ignores us on the forums and pretty much gives us garbage software. I tried their online CB and was not impressed. Its slower than a snail to load and takes me wayyy to long to make a character in it. Hero Lab is much better than what wotc is pushing with the online tools.

I did notice that the Player Essentials classes were listed in compendium with a line of flavor text missing, unlike all the other classes listed. I can see how if the downloader is looking for these little cues to grab them they could be skipped because of the one line of text missing or the line breaks. Wizards has made my life alot more difficult since they are now getting rid of Monster Builder. I don't recommend downloading the December Monster Builder update either! They say it has bug fixes but its really just removing all the RPGA monsters from the database without fixing any of the bugs.