PDA

View Full Version : Inherent Bonuses

Chaosbleeds
November 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Howdy.

Is there an "Inherent Bonuses" feature for 4e characters? And if there is, how can I access it?

Thank you for your time. :D

Colen
November 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Chaos,

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by an "Inherent Bonuses" feature. If you want to give your hero arbitrary bonuses, you can go to the Personal or In-Play tabs and add bonuses to your defenses, attributes, and more, using the "Permanent Adjustments" or "Temporary Adjustments" tables.

Hope this helps!

Sinner666
November 24th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Chaos,

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by an "Inherent Bonuses" feature. If you want to give your hero arbitrary bonuses, you can go to the Personal or In-Play tabs and add bonuses to your defenses, attributes, and more, using the "Permanent Adjustments" or "Temporary Adjustments" tables.

Hope this helps!

In 4e you can choose to play a campaign without magic items and to compensate the characters get inherent bonuses to stats instead. It is not in the compendium probably why its not something you know about.

SAbel
November 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM
The new Dark Sun setting has something in it as well (dont have my book close to give pages) but it is near the back of the campaign setting. It is a progress chart based off of level simular to the increase give at levels for attributes, only the + __ goes to hit and if you role a crit then you recieve bonus dice for the damage expressed in __D6 at specific levels. (not really clear but I hope this helps some).

Colen
December 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hmm, thanks - I'll look into this. In the meantime, you should be able to add the bonuses you need using the adjustments mechanism I mentioned earlier. :)

cryptoknight
December 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
The adjustments system needs a little tweaking.

I should be able to add bonuses to the damage and attack rolls separately. Some feats like Melee training and Intelligent Blademaster aren't handled properly, I could adjust my character properly to make them work, but in the case of melee training the bonus to hit is equal to a stat, and the bonus to damage is 1/2 the stat bonus. While Intelligent Blademaster is full Int for both. If I could just tweak to hit and damage separately we'd be golden.

RavenX
January 5th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Chaos,

Hope this helps!

This would work if I had a permanent adjustment for damage and critical damage :) I have been using this at the table and its working pretty well.

The inherent bonuses are simply +x to hit and damage with +xd6 critical damage and +y to defenses at various levels because magical items in Dark Sun are weaker than other campaign settings. You nat 1 with a weapon in dark sun you could break it! There is also less magic items in Dark Sun. To maintain balance to all characters as they gain levels, WOTC put the Inherent Bonus system into the Dark Sun Campaign Setting book. It helps take care of the lack of magical gear and armor. When a monster nat 20s an attack roll you can forgo critical damage and have it break the armor of the player character it hits as well... The Inherent Bonuses are really important in Dark Sun.

Since I downloaded the december update I use the Tactical console alot in my games. I am glad I have this feature as it helps in my campaign significantly.

Littlewozo
October 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I'm attempting to duplicate these rules as a feat, but I'm having some scripting issues.
I basically copied and modified the values of the eval scripts for Improved Defenses and Axe Expertise, but I can't get it to work yet.

Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'ftInherent' (Eval Script '#1') on line 25
-> One or more 'if' statements is missing the closing 'endif' statement
Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'ftInherent' (Eval Script '#2') on line 19
-> Use of an 'eachpick' or 'eachthing' transition is invalid outside of a suitable 'foreach' block
Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'ftInherent' (Eval Script '#3') on line 19
-> Use of an 'eachpick' or 'eachthing' transition is invalid outside of a suitable 'foreach' block

DMayhew469
January 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
I have been able to do the Non AC bonuses as a feat. I'm working on AC. I can get it to adjust the trait but it is stacking with the enhancement bonus of any armor worn for some reason.

The Attack bonus is going to be a little more challenging.