PDA

View Full Version : Monster (NPC) Hit Points

SkidAce
November 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I was recreating one of my NPCs (a 20th level ice wizard) and he only has 20 Hp.

I have looked on every tab and I can't seem to change it anywhere.

SkidAce
November 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM
After much experimenting, it appears creating an NPC using the character Type Monster (NPC) choice on the initial screen creates an NPC with no base hit points. I assume this is because there is no base class to calculate off of. When I hover over the hps in the Abilities tab, it shows 0 for a base and 20 for CON.

There is no place to choose a class when creating a Monster (NPC) so how do we get a base hit die in there?

SkidAce
November 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Ok, I missed the spot where I could manually enter the hit points, so I can work around it. But shouldn't it automatically calculate base HP, and I would modify it from that starting point?

Colen
November 10th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I didn't think there was a standard "base" hit points for monsters - if there's a calculation I can do to set a good base, let me know and I'll see if I can incorporate it into the next version. :)

SkidAce
November 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the consideration.

What it boils down to is there are six types of monsters, and each has a hit point calculation based on their type as follows;

Skirmisher 8 + Con + (level X 8)
Brute 10 + Con + (level X 10)
Soldier 8 + Con + (level X 8)
Lurker 6 + Con + (level X 6)
Controller 8 + Con + (level X 8)
Artillary 6 + Con + (level X 6)

Now since this is not how characters are calculated, it may be beyond HeroLab's primary functions to accomplish. It was just since I had an option to build as a character or build as a monster (NPC) I assumed it would use the 4E rules to do so.

There are similar calculations for AC, Other defenses, Attack vs AC, and Attack vs Other defenses.

No worries if it is not the direction you are heading, just like I said the character versus monster selection option mislead me.

Thanks!

Colen
November 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM
It should be possible to add all those. I'll see what I can come up with for a future version...