PDA

View Full Version : DDI Updater Stalls

Madcap
November 2nd, 2010, 03:34 AM
I just bought HeroLab. I have been trying for days to get the data from D&D Insider. Usually when it gets to the feats, the ... becomes !!!

Can anyone help me troubleshoot the issue? My internet connection is stable, so I am not sure what the problem is.

UPDATE: It downloaded everything on retry, but then the program crashed when it was updating the lists at the end.

mugginns
November 3rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
I am experiencing this with the demo version as well.

Holy crap it took a while to update all the other stuff. Then it got to Powers and "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Madcap
November 3rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
Well, I got to the end, where it will attempt to retry downloading all the stuff that was !!! That worked, but when the program went to update the data files, the program crashed. Now I am starting over for the 5th time. I will post an update tonight.

Jay Ibero
November 3rd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Same problem here. Got it to do all the downloading and it crashed somewhere near the end. Running windows 7 32-bit, as admin....

davidthegnome2003
November 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
I also have this problem. Win 7 64 bit running as admin. Fails on powers every time. On try 3.

Would be nice if we could some how tell it to only download one category. Then retries would be faster :)

Update: Failed on backgrounds this time.

Colen
November 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
If it crashes after download, there's likely some sort of problem with the data. There may have been some unannounced changes to the Compendium - I'll download stuff and take a look at it today to see if I can find the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience - check back on this thread before the end of the week and I should hopefully have some information for you.

Madcap
November 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, attempt #5 crashed after download. Looks like mine stopped working after Items. Windows 7, 64 bit, running as Admin.

SkidAce
November 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Mine downloaded everything after about 7 hours. Then I guess it crashed when creating its files at "Items".

I thought I would be able to use option #3 on the downloader to convert the file I downloaded but it doesn't give me that option.

Just...
1. Download with no Insider.
2. Download with Insider.
d. Delete existing data.
x. exit

PagingMrHerman
November 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Mine is crashing at "Generating item entries..." also.

Diceman
November 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Trying to DL now using the demo version. DL got pretty deep into the feats area and then started the !!!! thing. Hopefully this will get resolved. I am very impressed with what i see of the program. ESPECIALLY the ability to add custome races ect.

ssims2
November 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
I am having the same issue. The updater crashes while generating the items .dat file, specifically while working on the Venomous Songbow. I have tried it 5 times - it always crashes at this point.

davidthegnome2003
November 3rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
How can you tell what specific item it is on?

ssims2
November 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
There is a text file called output.txt in the 4e folder that contains a log of the downloader.

davidthegnome2003
November 4th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Cool, thanks for the info

Colen
November 4th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Yes, it looks like there's been an update, even though the Compendium page says "Latest Updates: 10/12/10". I'm resolving the crash, and adding something I hope will help people whose downloads start failing half way through - I'll hopefully be releasing a new update to fix this today.

Thanks for your patience, all.

mugginns
November 4th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Outstanding. If this starts working well, you may see quite a few new subs based on the CB stuff.

SkidAce
November 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I can guarantee you will see at least one.

Madcap
November 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I wish I got this kind of feedback and customer support from other gaming products I use. Thank you so much for looking into this.

DMSamuel
November 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
FYI: I just tried to DL the data 3 times, after about 6 hours (yes, I timed it) it crashes at the end when trying to generate Deity entries.

Also, I get no conversion option in the menu, only DL non-subscription data, DL subscription data, and Delete all data.

So I can't even convert the stuff that did get downloaded and every time I attempt it I have to start at the beginning.

In a bright note, I appreciate your quick responses and look forward to this being resolved so I can start using the product.

:)

cryptoknight
November 4th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I think there's a lot of us anxiously waiting for this to be resolved.

Once I build a character in HB and determine it will meet my needs the purchase will happen.

Just wish the SR4e ruleset would get released too... because I'll happily buy that.

Colen
November 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Everything seems to be working, so I just uploaded a new set of files. You can grab them from Hero Lab's updates mechanism - once they're downloaded, run the new downloader and it should be able to process the new Compendium data.

I also added some code which I hope will help people who suddenly start seeing a lot of "!!!!!!!!" half way through their download, so please let me know if you run into that again.

Hope this helps!

Madcap
November 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Trying it now. Thanks for your hard work.

SkidAce
November 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Will let you know tomorrow morning before I go to work. (If it's done)

Diceman
November 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM
started a download about 2 hrs ago. just checked on it's progress and in the middle of the large items section, there are two random "!" amongst the dots. What do the "!"'s mean? Should I scrap this entire download attempt or is it possibly just stating a failed attempt to grab a particular file and then reattempted it?
for now I will let it run it's course and see what happens.

coeranys
November 5th, 2010, 01:00 AM
It worked for me after the update.

cryptoknight
November 5th, 2010, 03:13 AM
It works great, and I just bought it.

Now for a bug report.

Melee Training. It's a feat. When selected it should ask me which stat I want to use for Melee basic attacks. After that my Melee Basic should be replaced with that stat instead of strength and my damage should be 1/2 of that stat rounded down.

It didn't give me a choice of which stat to use. But wow... this is a nice app.

My question about power cards was answered... They show the weapons you select as equipped on the appropriate page. Would be nice if instead of running together, each weapon had its own line though.

Madcap
November 5th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Up and running with updates. Awesome!

davidthegnome2003
November 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Running great, thanks!

Colen
November 5th, 2010, 08:00 AM
started a download about 2 hrs ago. just checked on it's progress and in the middle of the large items section, there are two random "!" amongst the dots. What do the "!"'s mean? Should I scrap this entire download attempt or is it possibly just stating a failed attempt to grab a particular file and then reattempted it?
for now I will let it run it's course and see what happens.

The !s are a failure to grab a file (one ! per file). If it's just a couple of them, don't worry about it - the downloader should automatically retry them once everything else is done, and hopefully they'll download correctly then. Definitely just let it finish. :)

Diceman
November 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM
The !s are a failure to grab a file (one ! per file). If it's just a couple of them, don't worry about it - the downloader should automatically retry them once everything else is done, and hopefully they'll download correctly then. Definitely just let it finish. :)

Thank you for the clarification. I figured you would say that. I finished the dowload and the program seems to be running great.(granted only demo version atm)
I am glad I found this product. The ability to add custom items to the database is a BIG reason I will be purchasing HL.
Thanks again.

SkidAce
November 5th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Running fine after the update. Purchased 4E and about to purchase d20/3.5.

DMSamuel
November 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Wow - that was wicked fast customer service! I tried it again and it worked just fine. I am building a PC as we speak (to test out the system) and am very pleased with what I see so far.

Thanks for this tool - very very cool Lone Wolf! Very Cool!

Koranak
November 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
So... I just downloaded the demo (V3.6e), and I'm telling it to grab data from my DDI account. It said "Login secceeded.", so that seems fine, but I'm seeing nothing but a giant string of !s after "Downloading approx. 134 deity entries...". Since this seems to be all of them rather than just a couple of them, I assume I should worry about it? Any idea what might be wrong? I haven't poked around for too terribly long on this forum, so I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I didn't see it so far.

SkidAce
November 7th, 2010, 05:27 AM
If you are getting all !!!s it means the Wizards web page is thinking you are not logged in. I got around that by quiting the program and relogging in at a different time.

If it is just a few !!!s, then let it finish and it will go back and retry to get them.

SAbel
November 7th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hey all had hard time running the downloader, hung up my windows 7 system :( my output.txt is to big to upload, but HL seems to be running ok.

Koranak
November 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
If you are getting all !!!s it means the Wizards web page is thinking you are not logged in. I got around that by quiting the program and relogging in at a different time.

If it is just a few !!!s, then let it finish and it will go back and retry to get them.

I don't think it's a "try at a different time" issue... yesterday evening, letting it run overnight, and starting it again now all have had the same results.

When I go to a browser the login works fine, and the ddidownloader starts out with "Login successful", so it seems to think it's logging in fine... but I let it run overnight and every single area was nothing but !s (roughly twice as many of them as there should be items for it to download for that section, it looks like).

I'm starting to suspect this somehow relates to my Internet Explorer settings, as I have that locked down super tight and avoid it like the plague that it is... I hate to risk letting it out of it's cave, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Koranak
November 7th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yep, making wizards.com a trusted zone and setting trusted zones to medium-low security fixed the problem.

Malacandra
November 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Well, I got well into the Powers and then the !!!!s started appearing so I quit.

Now, I can't even get to the first set: Deities just keep starting off with !!!!s.
This is a real bummer since I see this as an alternative to the CB itself which I have yet to run problems. I run a Linux box and while I have Windows XP in Virtualbox, the CB is slow, laggy and crashes. I can't use it on Linux as Moonlight won't parse the page.

As for Hero Lab, I've been trying it in Wine and it seems to run with no problems. I just can't get the ddidownloader to work.

Very frustrating and I'd like some suggestions as I'm waiting to buy based on whether it's actually going to work or not.

Thanks.

cryptoknight
November 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Right now Wizards is having some difficulties (to be gentle) with their new web based Character Builder System... I wouldn't be surprised that the system drain put on their servers is potentially messing up downloads via ddidownloader.

However, when you re-ran ddidownloader, did you first choose to delete your data? I wonder if it's bumping up against itself possibly.

Malacandra
November 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Right now Wizards is having some difficulties (to be gentle) with their new web based Character Builder System... I wouldn't be surprised that the system drain put on their servers is potentially messing up downloads via ddidownloader.

However, when you re-ran ddidownloader, did you first choose to delete your data? I wonder if it's bumping up against itself possibly.

I did not but will try that. And yeah, I figured they might just have some server overload too... their site seems to hang often for me for some reason anyway...

Malacandra
November 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Well, deleting data didn't work. I guess I'll just keep trying in the hopes I catch their servers at a good time. I was so close last night but after nearly 6 hours and then to see all those !!!!!s. Sigh. :(

Malacandra
November 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM
So I was getting some kind of Internet Connection error using Wine. Found a semi-related post here that had a very simple solution:

http://wine.1045685.n5.nabble.com/fixme-wininet-InternetSetOptionW-Err-WoW-Download-Install-tp1692678p1692681.html

So far, it's downloading stuff... NO !!!!!!s

Now, to let it run for awhile...

Colen
November 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Malacandra - hope you got your data downloaded! :)