PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Future on Herolab

Virtue
July 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
So with the great news about becoming offical with Paizo

What are the plans and what can you tell us

APG is first and it looks huge and alot of work how much is that going to cost?

Pathfinder Chronicles are these going to cost anything or will they be a part of the update most things in these are some feats spells and traits

Bestiary 2 are you guys going to get the early look and is this going to be an update to Bestiary 1 or cost money again?

What about all the stuff you guys have that has not been updated to pathfinder (spells and magic items)

Its looking like great things ahead for Herolabs and Pathfinder

Bishop37
July 15th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Here's my hopes for pricing:

Big books (Bestiary 2, APG, etc) shouldn't cost more than the PDF from Paizo (so $9.99). I paid the $14.99 for the first Bestiary, but I probably won't pay that much again for a dataset.

Other books should cost $0.99-1.99. Above that and its not worth my money...its easier to just enter in the rules items I need myself.

If there is a subscription with a discount, I'll be happy to subscribe as long as the final prices are at or below what I listed above.

Frodie
July 15th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I don't mind $20 for a core book. Entering data by hand, (for me) is a pain. Takes me forever. The little books, I guess it would depend on how much "crunch" is in them.

EberronKnight
July 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
The current pricing HL has been doing, for ex. Bestiary1, is a very decent price. Considering all the work and effort it takes for them to unput the data, $9.99 is underballing guys putting in all the time for the datasets.

I want deals as much as the next guy but after playing with the editor and seeing what it takes to create and add things... no way is a $0.99-1.99 a fair price range.

EK

rob
July 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
APG is first and it looks huge and alot of work how much is that going to cost?

It *is* huge. We're still debating the cost. The issue is the vast amount of work involved with this beast of a book.

Pathfinder Chronicles are these going to cost anything or will they be a part of the update most things in these are some feats spells and traits

These will have a cost, but it will be very low. We're working out the details now. Stay tuned for announcements in the next couple of weeks.

Bestiary 2 are you guys going to get the early look and is this going to be an update to Bestiary 1 or cost money again?

There will be a cost. We won't know how much until we get to see the book (which should be a fair bit in advance of release). We hope to leverage a lot of the work that went into getting the first Bestiary into place, which will ideally reduce the amount of work for us, and, by extension, the cost to users.

What about all the stuff you guys have that has not been updated to pathfinder (spells and magic items)

We're working on a plan to get everything added. There's a *lot* to sort out, and this is the annual insane run-up to GenCon, so please be patient on this stuff. :-)

We truly appreciate everyone's excitement, and we're working as fast as we can to get it all mapped out. We'll let you guys know as soon as we have a solid plan in place.

Grog
July 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
After entering in a few classes and monsters, etc. I'll have to say that scripting is time very consuming. Your prices so far have been extremely reasonable and I have zero complaints regarding that. My personal time is worth way more than the cost of a data file.

When you release APG, or other enhancements, I will buy those as soon as they are available. As long as I have purchased the source book...

Some source books I look at and think "I'll never use that in my campaign." (mainly campaign world location material, that stuff is always hit or miss with me.) If I don't think I'll buy the source book then I'll 99.9% skip the data file too. However, for all the immediate releases, I'm ready to buy a data set. :)

Grog

blzbob
July 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I was initially very leery about the cost. It seemed rather high. After making my purchase though, and seeing everything this software can do, I feel like I got a bargain. I have tried to add several monsters, gear, classes, and PC races and I can say that it's not always easy. Some things require extensive knowledge and understanding to pull off. $15 to have someone else do all the work seems more than fair. That's quite a bit of work. Not only do you have to enter everything, you have to make sure it works and some of the stuff is a bit more complicated.

For me, I think $15-$20 for books like the Bestiary and AVP are very reasonable. The smaller books probably could go as high as $5 since they tend not to have much crunch to enter.

Overall, I think this is one of the best investments I've made for my game.

Virtue
July 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I think 15-20 for the AVP is im not sure about the Bestiary 2 since the universal monster rules its just data entering not so much writing new stuff. The original Bestiary had alot of new stuff and rewrite of the original progam (i think it was undrepriced) But the chronicles I think it should be like for the entire line like 10 bucks. I know ill pay more but that what I would like them to be

djc664
July 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I was initially very leery about the cost. It seemed rather high. After making my purchase though, and seeing everything this software can do, I feel like I got a bargain. I have tried to add several monsters, gear, classes, and PC races and I can say that it's not always easy. Some things require extensive knowledge and understanding to pull off. $15 to have someone else do all the work seems more than fair. That's quite a bit of work. Not only do you have to enter everything, you have to make sure it works and some of the stuff is a bit more complicated.

For me, I think $15-$20 for books like the Bestiary and AVP are very reasonable. The smaller books probably could go as high as $5 since they tend not to have much crunch to enter.

Overall, I think this is one of the best investments I've made for my game.

I second this completely.

blakbuzzrd
July 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Big time. The official Paizo adoption is just gravy to me -- I've been using HL to help me GM a Pathfinder game for months now, and I'd be lost in the high weeds without it.