PDA

View Full Version : Modern

Frodie
July 6th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Thinking of makeing a data set for the modern seeting using the MSRD. Not sure how it will convert over, (like the wealth roll). Any ideas before I start?

Theocrat
July 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Is this going to be using the Pathfinder dataset or the d20 dataset?
Pathfinder data set will require much more work than the generic d20 set - however, I'm not overly familiar with either, as I do the best I can with my limited knowledge.
If it's a d20MP aspect, I'm all supportive (esp. since Super Genius didn't get the P20 project off the ground). Might also want to take a look at GM Salari's e20 - System Evolved d20/M aspect that is on-going. Not sure if they'd help in making the dataset easier or harder with the PF dataset, but if you're going to be doing it, it might be worthwhile to at least check out.
Be Well. Be Well Evolved.
Theocrat Issak

Frodie
July 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Yea, a Pathfinder dataset, "d20MP", so it would me a bit more work, (what to change, add, drop, etc), but I thought I would give it a try. IDK

Frodie
July 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Well started withe easy, (lang) and now working on skills. What do you think should go in and what is out?
BTW - Any idea on how to do the Wealth check in Hero Lab? IDK might just have to make everything in gold.

TCArknight
July 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Frodie,

I've got a d20 Modern set I've been working on based on the 3.5 dataset. I'm about 45% through it (although I've been using the D20 book and not the MSRD)

What would the benefits be of using Pathfinder as a basis rather than d20?

Frodie
July 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM
To be honest, IDK, lol
Pathfinder is kind of like 3.75. My group has been playing it for awhile now and everyone likes the system. So fitting D20 Modern in D20 and/or Pathfinder would work fine, and have the same issues, (like the wealth roll, lol)

Frodie
July 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Looking at the same thread on the d20 board, it looks like you have done a lot! I'm just started, so IDK. I’ll look on the Pathfinder boards to see if there is a good conversion. If there is, see if it is worth making a dataset for the Pathfinder. Anyways, let me know if you need any help with data input, I know there is a lot to do. I’ll have a bit of free time next week.

Kev

TCArknight
July 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I'll be cleaning what I've got up over the weekend, but one thing I haven't done is any descriptions or summaries as I've been working on getting stuff running. :)

If you wanted to throw some summaries/descriptions of the various things from classes to languages together where I could cut and paste to the files, that would be a big help. :)

Shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what I've got near complete that could use some text/ideas on.

Thanks!
TC

Frodie
July 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM
That will be cool. I can start Monday if that is ok.

Frodie
July 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Ok, I have some time this week. Just send the file and what you want me to do.
Cool!

Kev

Frodie
July 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Once we finish the d20 dataset I'll convert it over to Pathfinder. Some import fine, some do not, lol, but it shouldn't be too long!

Mathias
July 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Question about modern - how do the skills work? Do they follow the d20 model of assigning class skills class-to-class, and having different effectiveness for the ranks applied to class and cross-class skills, or do they follow the Pathfinder model where all ranks are equally effective, class skills apply to all classes once assigned, and there's a bonus for having ranks in a class skill.

The Pathfinder skill system can't be turned back into the d20 skill system, so I'm not sure about the feasability of importing the modern rules into Pathfinder.

Frodie
July 14th, 2010, 01:23 PM
yea, it's a bit diff, but mostly the same. For the most part, Pathfinder will be core rules with add Modern "flair", (a few skills, feats, etc). Some things will be dropped and not used. I know at one time there was a 3rd PP trying to make a set of rules called "P20", but it never got off the ground. For this dataset, it's just the MSRD put on top of Pathfinder, what works, "works", what don't, gets dropped.

Frodie
July 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Ok, here are the skills, Lang, weapons and armor. I know some of the easy stuff, but's a start.

Frodie
July 16th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I got the feats in but not working yet. The biggest challenge is the rules conversion. To decide what stays and what goes. Some are easy, (move silently to stealth, etc.). Well there are a few more I skills I dropped. Let me know what yall think.
Navigation rolled into Survival – Kind of ok with this, but IDK
Investigation & Research rolled into Perception. I thought of just rolling Inves and Res into one skill, but it looked like they could fall under Perception.
Keep in mind skills are an easy “add in” if we want to put them back, but then, it gets a bit trickery.
Feats – What stays what goes? All the modern repeats went, (two weapon fighting, etc.). Some feats just give a skill bonus to a skill that was dropped. So the feat can be dropped, or reassigned to a different skill that matches the old one.
Occupations – Thinking of putting them in the Traits. Seems to be a good fit.
Any thoughts yall?

Frodie
July 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Here are the vehicles. More coming

atlarman
July 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Here are the vehicles. More coming

Frodie- A d20 modern set will be awesome if it works.... can ya shoot me a full download when se be done? hopefully it'll be easier than highlander to install.:p

Frodie
July 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
lol, it will be about the same. BTW ever get it to work?

Frodie
July 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Ok, had a few ideas. Keep in mind a lot is based on “how to get this to work in Hero Lab”, so it may not be perfect, but will work.

Ok, Wealth – as a skill. I know – blah, blah, blah. But, it will work. It will also give you the option of not using it and you can just inter gold prices for everything yourself, or you can use it with the DC price amount already on the modern items. I sure there is some kind of conversion, but it seems like everyone has their own idea of what that is. So at least it something to build on and it will work in the program easily, (I do not think there is a way to program this in any other way, but if someone has an idea, please let me know).

Backgrounds – Become traits. Going to “try” and get it to where you can chose your skills, but it may end up just giving a +1 to a hand full of skills.

Base Classes – Not a fan, but they are there. So I am going to make them NPC classes, (you can still play them like any other class, and if you don’t like the “classification”, it’s an easy change in the editor.

All other classes – Make them prestige classes.

Skills and Feats - Drop what is a repeat and roll over what is needed. One big issue that I am on the fence about is the skills – Investigation and Research. I think they should get rolled over into Perception. IDK, the idea is to simply the skills, and there are differences in the skills, but I think that is a good spot for them.

Frodie
July 26th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Here is the rest of the equipment.

Frodie
July 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ok here are the whole “working file”. It has everything I have so far with all the feats “still working” on them and just finished the "starting occupations", sorta, lol, they were a BIG pain!
They fall under Traits. I could not get HL to choose skills to make class skills. I am sure there is a way, but it’s out of my “pay grade”. So I picked “two” skills per occupation that I felt best suited it. I know in the MSDR you get to pick three, but I felt this was more in line with other Pathfinder traits.
Anyways, I add a few more skills as well.
BTW – You will need to DELETE all the old modern user files before putting this in, (or you will get a lot of errors of duplicate files).
Well on the “to do list”, make sure all the feats work, classes, spells, magic items, and monsters. I think that is it, (I know big list still). Anybody want to help with any of that would be great.

Frodie
July 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I made a few updates to the Traits and Feats.

Frodie
July 29th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Ok, got all the magic items and spells in. I didn’t put items and/or spells that were a duplicate, (so there is only one spell from the core MSRD, should be more with UA, but that is later). So it kind of looks like the last thing is the classes and monsters.
BTW – Does anyone know if putting the monsters will give errors to someone who does not have the Bestiary?

Lefty-X
July 31st, 2010, 05:02 AM
These don't seem to want to open. What kind of file type are they?

ShadowChemosh
July 31st, 2010, 06:42 AM
These don't seem to want to open. What kind of file type are they?
The files are .user which is Hero Lab's data set specific. To use any .user file you must put the file in the correct Hero Lab folder before starting Hero Lab. So in this case its a Pathfinder data set so it needs to go into Hero Lab\Data\Pathfinder folder. Then start Hero Lab and it will compile the data set making it usable. Though many of the community data sets also are tied to a specific SOURCE which you will need to check mark in the Configure Your Hero window to make the book or source usable.

Frodie
August 3rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info. BTW - here is an update for the new update to HL. Has the Strong Hero, almost done. More on the way

Frodie
August 4th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Ok, I am done with the first base class, (Strong). All the base classes will be under NPC classes, (they work the same way) and go to level 20. The defense bonus is done a little different. Now everyone will get a +1 Ac bonus every 2 levels. I got the script from the “Razor Coast” dataset by ShadowChemosh and I think it will work well for the setting.
Also, I dropped the Action points and Reputation rolls. I don’t think they are needed, but you can add Action points in the House Rules editor if you want them.

Frodie
August 5th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Fast Hero done. Same as Strong Hero. Level 20 extra Talents etc.

BTW - added a monster Template called the The Ghoulish Succubus from: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6911-RPG-Examiner~y2010m4d14-The-ghoulish-succubus-from-Jennifers-Body
I did a few updates for the Modern Pathfinder setting. :-)

Frodie
August 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Tough hero done, thanks again to ShadowChemosh for the help!
BTW - This class has a lot of changes in the Talent tree. Hope yall like it.

Frodie
August 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Smart Hero done, same as before, level 20, bunch of new Talents, (btw- starting to burn out, so I just copied a bunch of abilities to fill up the space in the talent tree, (each class has 15 Talents to pick from), so thank you everyone)!

Frodie
August 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
The Dedicated hero hero done, same as the others. Charismatic hero is done but the Talent tree, (finish that up this week). After that I think I will be done for a bit, (kind of burning out). Anyways, almost done.

Frodie
August 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Fix and cleaned up the feats. BTW - No archic and firearm feats, weapons are simple, martial, extotic. I don't think it was needed.

Thazar
August 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I wanted to say thanks for sharing this stuff. I know you are the only one really adding updates. Good stuff and it is appreciated!

Frodie
August 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
NP, glad yall like it, but I do get some help from time to time, lol