PDA

View Full Version : Authoring Kit Bug?

Grog
June 30th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'm inputting creatures in the authoring kit from prior sources.

I've input the monster. No major problems there.

I'm trying to keep this stuff tidy so I pressed the sources button, and selected the New Source check box at the top of the list. The source I've input material from is not in the list.

I input a unique ID and the name then press OK.

When it saves the data instead of displaying the textual name I created it displays the Unique ID instead. I've tried all sorts of things to get this to work and can't figure it out. ???

Second issue is that I input "SRD" for the Parent Source value, assuming this would make my newly created source value appear as a child of that grouping. No workie... No matter what value I put in the Parent Source field, my new values (with ID displaying instead of text) always appear at either the top or bottom of the Source listing. Seems random. Some go to the top and some go to the bottom.

Any ideas?

Grog

ShadowChemosh
June 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM
When I do sources in the Editor I have to do a "Test Now!" to get the sources to actually fully compile and actually get used. If I don't I get the results you mention.

Now I don't know anything about the Authoring Kit as I don't have that installed, but I assume their must be something like the Test Now that the Editor uses.

Hope that helps.

Grog
June 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Now I don't know anything about the Authoring Kit as I don't have that installed, but I assume their must be something like the Test Now that the Editor uses.

Hope that helps.

I'm using the Editor. Not Authoring Kit. Please move the thread as appropriate. Wrong place but same issue. Id is saved not the human-friendly name. Too many categories running through my brain. :confused:

TCArknight
July 1st, 2010, 03:49 AM
Grog,

I've run into that myself and it confused me for a bit too. :)

After you add the new source, save your file and click on the 'Test Now' button. Once the thing with the new source is compiled and loaded as part of the data the source id will vanish and the Testual description of it will appear.

Thomas

RayPrancer
July 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
In some of the more extreme cases (where the above suggestions don't work) you'll have to select "Quick Reload Data Files" from the Develop menu (or Ctrl+R) to have it import the data files again - I've only had to do this when I've added new parent categories directly to the data files though.

Grog
July 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
After you add the new source, save your file and click on the 'Test Now' button.

Ok that worked. I made a new entry and followed those instructions. However, the old ID still shows.

Is there a way to remove Source selections? I don't see where I can edit that. Not a big deal but I tend to be a bit of an organization freak.

Grog
July 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Problem solved. Opened the .user file in a text editor and removed the offending line. :)

ShadowChemosh
July 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM
Problem solved. Opened the .user file in a text editor and removed the offending line. :)
Yep TextPad is still my best friend for doing stuff like that. ;)