PDA

View Full Version : Languages and Races

Thazar
June 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
First off as this is my first post I wanted to say I really like the product and am enjoying figuring out the features.

Has anyone come up with some user files that include all of the regional races and languages from the Golarian setting? I see that Varisian and Chelaxian languages are there as well as a couple of the human subgroups. But it would be nice to either have factions added for each of the ethnicities or add the option of Human (XRegionX). Finally, since Taldane is Common maybe add a language like this - Taldane (Common) as a choice.

As these are small items compared to game mechanic changes I understand why they would not be a huge priority. If some of this already exists out there on fan based sites (like the ones at D20PFSRD) then a link would be great. And if not I will see about making some stuff up in the editor on my own and sharing... but since I have only had the program for a day or two my skills are lacking at the moment so it will be trial and error for a bit.

Finally, one last random question. Is there a way to see all of the items that are in a user file? For instance the Lone Wolf file that you can check at the setup appears to have cooking and cooking language... but nothing else I could find. Being able to browse what is in a file before checking a box would be nice to allow a more informed choice.

Theocrat
June 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the boards. One of the new aspects that just showed up for HL a languages tab in the editor (I think v3.6 was the first), so that's fairly new. I added the Grand Lodge Slang to the Seeker of Secrets file. However, I just found out from Josh on a Languages post in the PFS section at Paizo that he doesn't see GLS as a separate language. Bummer. So I'll likely remove that (or keep it but mark it not for PFS play). I have a couple other adjustments to SoS to make anyway.
As for other cultural languages - only those that came with HL are in there - again because of the lacking language tab. I'm sure one of us can actually make the languages that are in the PFCS (and forthcoming Inner Sea Campaign Guide) as options. That might be a bit easier than completing my work on Cities of Golarion!

Theocrat Issak

Theocrat
June 30th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm working on the languages from the PFCS - Hallit is already loaded from Kingmaker, with a mark of not allowed for PFS. Do I then copy it and mark it as legal? Will there then be two Hallit options if someone has loaded both my PFCS Language file and the Kingmaker file?

Mathias
June 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
The languages tab has existed in the editor since v1.1.

If you use the "Replaces Thing Id" option on the right-hand side of the editor window, and have your new version replace the existing version of Hallit, then there will only be one Hallit option, PFS-legal when people use your file.

Mathias
June 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I'm afraid there's not a good way to look through what's allowed by a setting before checking it, sorry.

Thazar
June 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback all.

Theocrat
July 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Question regarding the Replaces Thing ID. For the Hallit and the other languages that replace ones already in place - when I put in IPFHallit in the replaces thing id - I get an error back after my test now. Says that IPFHallit does not exist. This is the case for IPFChelaxi, IPFHallit, IPFSkald and IPFVarisia. Or am I using the wrong ID for the replacement?
Thanks

TopCat
July 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
The language IDs start with a lower case L, not an I. They're case-sensitive as well so you need to make sure you get the capitalisation correct.

ShadowChemosh
July 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM
The uppercase I and lower case L do to HL's font type look the same. So TopCat is correct in that the languages should start with a lower case L that will look like an I.

Sometimes the best way to get the exact ThingID is to add it to a hero and then right click on the X or ? and do a "Copy Unique ID(XXXX) to Clipboard".