PDA

View Full Version : Construct Creature Type

kunger00
June 25th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm trying to create a construct race for one of my players but it is toned down a bit from the TRUE constructs. As such, I can't just list as Construct type.

So, I thought the best way to do this is to make another Creature Type that was copied off of the Construct.

My first thought was to create a creature subtype that canceled out some of the construct traits, but I have no idea how to do that...

So I went with the new Type. In this case, a Clockwork Construct creature type.

Before I started tearing it apart and making it so that it doesn't work and trying to figure out what I did to mess it up, I have, at this point, simply copied Construct and renamed it. No other changes.

When creating the race, I have done nothing other than select "Clockwork Construct" from my creature type list.

When I test and make a test character, none of the construct stuff shows up (such as the immunities, etc). If I change the race to have Construct, it all shows up. Change it to Clockwork Construct and it all vanishes again.

I don't understand how something that is a copy except, a name change, isn't working.

Maybe someone who is better at this can explain why a renamed copy of Construct creature type isn't behaving as the original?

That or teach me how to create a sub type that deletes abilities from the parent creature type.

Thanks in advance!

ShadowChemosh
June 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I don't have an exact answer to your question. Don't do races allot, but their was a post awhile back from Mathais that explained how to do a Warforged (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=10125) race from Eberron in HL. Warforged are Living Constructs that also don't get the normal construct abilities.

Anyways thought it could help some.

kunger00
June 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks! I'll look into that!!! Maybe that will have the answers I need!

Again, Thanks!

kunger00
June 25th, 2010, 04:47 PM
The warforged thread helped me. I have a solution that works.

I don't care for the fact that the Construct type with Living Construct subtype still leaves the Construct mouse over on the Background tab.

No matter though. I have a gearforged race that works for my player. Now I just hope it is balanced! :)