PDA

View Full Version : Creating custom items

CMaS3117
June 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I have a need to create belts and necklaces for my game that are not covered in the core books. I can't find a way to do that.

suggestions?

J.

ShadowChemosh
June 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM
You will need to use the Editor to create totally custom feats, magic items, and other things. This is included in HL. To start it go to Tools -> Launch Editor....

Once inside you should click on Help->Help using the editor...

Then go through the basic material. Most custom stuff like magic items are going require Scripts. So the best way to learn those is a New(Copy) of magic item that does something similar that you can then modify.

Otherwise if you have specific issues feel free to ask and someone will give help.

CMaS3117
June 21st, 2010, 03:48 AM
Shadow,

Thank you. That's what I needed.

J.

CMaS3117
June 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
I'm creating a set of altered elven chain so I started with a copy of Elven Chain, added a +3 bonus to it.

1. When I try to save I get a compile error "Invalid Unique Id" I've given it what I would think would be a unique id. "uiECh3Dr6J"

(Addendum: I get this error when I try to save ANYTHING in the toolset. I went through the first tutorial step by step and got this error when I tried to save.)

2. I need to add damage reduction to it.

Suggestions? I've read through the tutorials three times, and struggling a bit with the toolset.

Thanks,

J.

Mathias
June 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Did you copy another thing, other than what you're trying to save? The default Id for a copy is not a valid Id, so remember to delete those once you're done studying them.

Try starting with Dwarven plate, and see how it handles adding a DR (hint: the Bootstraps button and the Eval Scripts button)

CMaS3117
June 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM
I've both copied a thing (and changed its id) and I've created a new thing from scratch and get the same result both ways.

CMaS3117
June 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Did you copy another thing, other than what you're trying to save? The default Id for a copy is not a valid Id, so remember to delete those once you're done studying them.

Try starting with Dwarven plate, and see how it handles adding a DR (hint: the Bootstraps button and the Eval Scripts button)

I see how to do it. Getting it to cooperate is another matter.

CMaS3117
June 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
I have not purchased the authoring kit as an add on package yet, is that what's in the way of me creating the custom items I need?

J.

ShadowChemosh
June 23rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
The authoring kit is used for making whole new game systems. The editor is what you need to create custom items in a game system is part of the dataset. So you don't need anything else.

I would go through each tab in the editor looking for something that you copied but didn't change the unique id of. For example you could have done a New(Copy) of a feat it would have been given a f? for its Unique ID. You can't have ? as part of the Unique id.

I say this as the error your getting is when ever I have done a copy to look at something else and never gave it a valid Unique ID.

modus0
June 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Just a quick suggestion, try making your unique id start with an "i".

Looking at the list of magic armor in the editor, all the entries begin with that letter.

Mathias
June 24th, 2010, 07:04 AM
If you're still having trouble, go ahead and email me all the .user files you've created. My email address is my user name here, @wolflair.com. I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong.