PDA

View Full Version : Sawtooth Saber from Adventurer's Armory

Bishop37
June 20th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I've been trying to toy with ShadowChemosh's Adventurer's Armory user file to get the Sawtooth Saber working right, but I'm not having a lot of luck. Here is the behavior I'm expecting:

If you are proficient, the weapon is treated as light. Proficiency can come from the exotic weapon proficiency feat or from class proficiency (Clerics and Inquisitors can get proficiency if they worship Achaekek in the Pathfinder campaign setting, and someone will eventually get around to creating the Heirloom Weapon trait from Adventurer's Armory that can give proficiency to a single weapon).

If you are not proficient, it is a one-handed weapon.

As ShadowChemosh has the weapon designed, it will evaluate against the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat but doesn't check for other types of proficiency. Is there a simple way to say "if the user is proficient, perform assign[wClass.Light]"?

I've tried some variants of WepProf.wPcSaSawto (the Unique ID of the weapon) but it didn't fly...got lots of "the thing to replace is already replaced by another thing and cannot be superceded" errors when I tried.

ShadowChemosh
June 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I have a fix that mechanically fixes the issue that you PMed me about. It takes into account that clerics simply setting the Proficient Tag instead of the tag that Exotic Weapon feat does.

The issue right now is display purposes only that show as wrong. To test to see if the cleric set the weapon to being proficient is a later Timing than what I need to use. So currently the tags are getting set to light and the weapon will work with feats like Weapon Finesse. However because I have to test at a later timing the information for the weapon is still being shown as a 1-handed weapon not a light weapon even though the tag is correctly set to Light.

I tried changing the wClass field to light(ie 0), but that is a reserved value that I can't change. Not sure how to get around this right now....

ShadowChemosh
June 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I have a fixed version and uploaded it to d20pfsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/hero-lab). The only way to fix this was to change the cleric ability Deity's Favored Weapon timing from 5,000 to 4,000. Pre-levels 5,000 is when wClass gets calculated and I need to be able to know the hero is proficient and change to a Light weapon before 5,000 or weird things happen with Weapon Finesse and calcs for Two-Weapon Fighting. Or at least as far as I can figure out. ;)

Mathias
June 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Before you go through this sort of work creating a workaround, could you post this as a bug for me instead?

The Sawtooth Sabre was added as part of the Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure path, why does it need to be duplicated in a new file?

ShadowChemosh
June 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Before you go through this sort of work creating a workaround, could you post this as a bug for me instead?

The Sawtooth Sabre was added as part of the Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure path, why does it need to be duplicated in a new file?
The adventure Armory made small changes to allot of the weapons from previous APs and the campaign setting. Not just added new ones. They claim they did this to make compatible with the new version of the rules(ie updated from 3.5). So far they seem in some ways more complicated. My issue with many of the items is the wording they used is WAY more confusing than it use to be. :(

In this case the Sawtooth it has to work at least two different ways depending on the feats or class abilities one has. In example if you have Exotic Weapon(Sawtooth) it needs to be a light weapon. Yep same as before and I took the original HL code for this. Thanks for that. :)

If you don't have the Exotic Feat it needs to work in all ways as a Longsword including being treated as a martial weapon. Handled this with a custom Requirement script now that also adds the Proficient tag if the person can use a longsword.

The last way appears to be, if we go by exact wording, that the cleric who takes this weapon as a weapon of their deity should gain it as an exotic weapon feat. This is because the new description says nothing about the Exotic feat, but uses the word proficiency. So the Cleric ability just gives the proficiency Tag at a timing of 5,000 Pre-levels which when wClass is calculated.

So the issue is if I change the weapon to Light at say 5,001 timing the tags are updated, but NOT wClass. This means in my testing I found part of the time HL treated the weapon as light in others as 1-handed as that was what the wClass field said it was.

So with all that I hope I covered why I was making changes to the items that already existed in HL. Plus I wanted the description listed in HL if nothing else to match the latest source book from Paizo which is the Adventurer's Armory.

The last thing is I was not really sure it was a BUG for the cleric ability timing, but I had planned to send you an email/PM to ask if it would be possible to change the core HL version to something sooner like 500 or such, but I had not had time just yet to get to that. :)

Mathias
June 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
On the weapon tab, just above the Exotic weapon attribute requirements, is a "Counts As Weapon..." box. I just tested things, and checking "Longsword" there makes a Cleric with Longsword proficiency good to use the Sawtooth Sabre.

ShadowChemosh
June 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM
On the weapon tab, just above the Exotic weapon attribute requirements, is a "Counts As Weapon..." box. I just tested things, and checking "Longsword" there makes a Cleric with Longsword proficiency good to use the Sawtooth Sabre.
Yep. I am in agreement here with this. Though their was another issue I found using the Counts As Weapon when I was testing, but can remember now.

The issue is though if you pick the Sawtooth as your weapon not longsword it needs to be a Light Weapon not a 1-handed weapon. That is the issue that is causing me to have to change the timing on the cleric ability.

Bishop37
June 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I don't know if this was changed at all in 3.6, but the CoCT version of Sawtooth Saber works right, as is (wPFSawtoot).

ShadowChemosh
June 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I don't know if this was changed at all in 3.6, but the CoCT version of Sawtooth Saber works right, as is (wPFSawtoot).
Actually slight difference in the rules with how the Adventurer's Armory updated the 3.5 weapon to PFPRG rules. So yes the CoCT version works exactly like the writeup was for 3.5, but now its slightly different for full PFRPG rules.

Bishop37
September 5th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Looking at the most recent version of the Armory file from Aug 29th, it looks like there is a similar problem with the Aldori Dueling Sword. Characters that gain proficiency without using the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat are not able to use Weapon Finesse with the weapon.