PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bug Reports - version 3.3

Mathias
May 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM
A new bug reports thread for the 5/26/10 update.

baez
May 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Another PDF cosmetic bug here (I think):

The description for Dodge in the 3.3 Pathfinder update says:

"+1 to AC vs attacks from one opponent."

The PRD doesn't say the part about one opponent:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html#dodge

Quote: "Benefit: You gain a +1 dodge bonus to your AC. A condition that makes you lose your Dex bonus to AC also makes you lose the benefits of this feat."

Is the PRD out of date?

Thanks!

-joe

huntercc
May 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I don't have my Pathfinder book in front of me, but I believe the original D20 version said the bonus only applied vs one opponent, and the Pathfinder version just said you get a +1 Dodge bonus all the time.

Mathias
May 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Most things in Hero Lab have two versions of the description text - the description, and the summary. In the conversion from the SRD files to the Pathfinder files, I replaced all the description text (at least for feats) with the new Pathfinder text. I didn't always catch the need to change the summary text. (The SRD version of dodge only applied to one opponent).

You can see the description text by moving your mouse over the ? on the right-hand side of an item's display, and can see the summary text displayed on the Specials tab and on the printout.

So, I'll get this fixed for the next update. (Also, one of the projects I want to get to in the next few weeks is to check the summary text for all the feats).

Virtue
May 27th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I dont think the Ranged touch attack is figuring out correct everyone I see the math seems off

Mathias
May 27th, 2010, 12:55 PM
You'll have to be more specific than that about what's wrong.

Update: I found an error if the hero is not Size M, but please remember that generic "something's not right" reports don't help me track down the problem. What you do see, what you should see, and where you see it are always things I need to know in order to be able to track down a problem.

kunger00
May 27th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Not sure the skeleton HD thing was fixed for all races. My skeletal dire rat still gets an additional HD from the skeleton template.

Gryndehl
May 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Pulled in from older bug report thread. Hmm, didn't include my old test in with yours when I quoted.
If you decrease the INT until it won't go down any further, you'll be at the correct value - it's not properly changing the default value of the INT, but the minimum is still correct. Fixing the default value is on my to-do list.
Well, when I pressed the down arrow to reduce INT, it stopped reducing before it got to the correct value and I had to use the adjust tab to get it correct.
I'm afraid I can't duplicate this. I went to the gear tab, selected Parchment from the list, and changed the number to purchase to 10. The total cost was recalculated as I went, so once I reached 10, the calculated cost was 2gp. Once I changed the number to purchase, pressing the "Set" button next to the Cost (Total) filled in the "Pay" fields. On a character who has 15pp, 150gp or 1500sp, the set button makes change correctly, always removing as many small coins as possible.
Must have got it into some weird state. Was not able to duplicated the problem myself.
On the main character, remove some money (either on the journal tab or the configure hero form), and add the same to the minion (on the configure hero form). Now, on the minion, purchase armor normally. The cost/weight changes for different sizes/non-humanoid shapes will be calculated for you (all armors can be made into barding). Now transfer the change back to the main character. A shared money pool is something I want to add, but that's the workaround until that's been added.
My character is a gnome who was putting barding on his riding dog which is medium. While medium barding weighs the same, it costs double. However even when I bought armor directly on the mount it cost what it would for a humanoid, not a mount. Did not find any checkbox or anything that indicated explicitly that this item is barding.

ShadowChemosh
May 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM
The following sort of seems like a bug, but could just be the way HL works. I only found it as I have been creating separate .user files, but trying to use the same source. Here is the example break down of the issue.

For MyData1.user I created a new source as follows:

<usesource source="PcAdvenArm" parent="Sources" name="Adventurers Armory"/>

Later I created a new .user file called MyData2.user and checked the same Source as I created in MyData1.user file. Everything was fine unless MyData1.user file is not present, because MyData2.user file only had the following for the source:

<usesource source="PcAdvenArm"/>

Now this is pretty easy for me to fix now that I know about it as I can just open it up in TextPad and do a quick replace and then everything works fine. Both MyData1 and 2 will work correctly with or without the other file so it does not hurt for .user files to have the full usesource info.

So is this a bug or just the way it works and I need to remember in this circumstance to change it in TextPad before sharing the file?

Thanks

Virtue
May 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
The large sunblade should be usable one handed its a large shortsword

kunger00
May 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Possibly more skeleton template errors? (I'm not an expert, so it might be an error on my part).

Making a skeletal hill giant hero. Made a hill giant raced hero, changed the alignment to NE so that I could add the skeleton template. When I did this, it dropped the CR from 7 to 1/6. I think this is an error.

Edit: looking in the Bestiary at the skeleton template, it looks like, with 10 hit dice from hillgiant, it should go to CR 5?

kunger00
May 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Possibly more skeleton template errors? (I'm not an expert, so it might be an error on my part).

Making a skeletal hill giant hero. Made a hill giant raced hero, changed the alignment to NE so that I could add the skeleton template. When I did this, it dropped the CR from 7 to 1/6. I think this is an error.

And now that I look back on the skeletal dire rat I'm having issues with, I see that it's CR drops from CR1 to CR 1/6.

A skeletal dire rat and a skeletal hill giant intuitively shouldnt be the same CR. :)

Baraccus
May 30th, 2010, 09:16 PM
My Giant Trolls for the CoT adventure path did the same. CR1/6

klimkin
June 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
-2 penalty is applied, if medium one-handed sword is used as two-handed sword by small creature. There should be no penalty.

The rule is:
The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder's size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For example, a Small creature would wield a Medium one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon. If a weapon's designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can't wield the weapon at all.

Mindcloud
June 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
The CR adjustment on the lich template should be +2 not +1.

ShadowChemosh
June 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
-2 penalty is applied, if medium one-handed sword is used as two-handed sword by small creature. There should be no penalty.

The rule is:
The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder's size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For example, a Small creature would wield a Medium one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon. If a weapon's designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can't wield the weapon at all.
That is only part of the rule their is still a cumulative -2 penalty when using a weapon of the wrong size see pfsrd Weapon Sizes. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#TOC-Weapon-Size)

Mathias
June 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Not sure the skeleton HD thing was fixed for all races. My skeletal dire rat still gets an additional HD from the skeleton template.

I'm afraid I can't duplicate this. Yes, there's still an enter HP space for the template, but there's no HD reported to its left, and the HD total listed under the level is "0+1" - 0 class levels+1 racial HD. I'll put removing the HP space on my to-do list.

Mathias
June 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Well, when I pressed the down arrow to reduce INT, it stopped reducing before it got to the correct value and I had to use the adjust tab to get it correct.

I added a level of Wizard to a blank character, selected a familiar for the wizard, and then on the familiar, selected the Cat race. On the abilities tab, I decreased the INT until it wouldn't decrease any further, and it stopped at 6, which is correct for a 1st level wizard. I added 2 more wizard levels, and the familiar's INT went to 7. Wiz 10's familiar had an INT of 10, and Wiz 20 had an INT of 15.

My character is a gnome who was putting barding on his riding dog which is medium. While medium barding weighs the same, it costs double. However even when I bought armor directly on the mount it cost what it would for a humanoid, not a mount. Did not find any checkbox or anything that indicated explicitly that this item is barding.

The race definition for the riding dog was missing the setting that would have told HL to double the armor price. That'll be fixed in the next update, thanks for pointing it out.

Mathias
June 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
The large sunblade should be usable one handed its a large shortsword

Actually, the real problem was that a size M sunblade was a 1-handed weapon (like a Bastard Sword), rather than a light weapon like a shortsword. Once that was fixed, HL properly changes a size L sunblade wielded by an M character into a 1-handed weapon.

Thanks for the report, this will be fixed in the next update.

Mathias
June 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM

Edit: looking in the Bestiary at the skeleton template, it looks like, with 10 hit dice from hillgiant, it should go to CR 5?

And now that I look back on the skeletal dire rat I'm having issues with, I see that it's CR drops from CR1 to CR 1/6.

A skeletal dire rat and a skeletal hill giant intuitively shouldnt be the same CR. :)

My Giant Trolls for the CoT adventure path did the same. CR1/6

You're correct - there's an error in the HD - CR conversion (and embarrassingly, it's correct on the Skeleton Champion, but not for the Skeleton or Zombie templates, so I fixed it in one case a while ago and didn't carry that fix to the other cases).

This'll be fixed in the next update, thanks for the report.

Mathias
June 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
The CR adjustment on the lich template should be +2 not +1.

Fixed in the next update, thanks for the report.

Baraccus
June 2nd, 2010, 09:24 PM
Not sure if I am correct here, but when I create a sorcerer, the attack bonus always seems to be +1 higher than it should. A first level sorcerer should have an attack bonus of +0 but it shows as +1, a level 3 should be +1 but it shows as +2.... It seems to calculate the attack rolls properly though. It keeps throwing one of my players off when he tries to wield a weapon that he's picked up after the sheet has printed and he has to calculate manually.

BTW I noticed that it was doing this several versions ago.

Mathias
June 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Not sure if I am correct here, but when I create a sorcerer, the attack bonus always seems to be +1 higher than it should. A first level sorcerer should have an attack bonus of +0 but it shows as +1, a level 3 should be +1 but it shows as +2.... It seems to calculate the attack rolls properly though. It keeps throwing one of my players off when he tries to wield a weapon that he's picked up after the sheet has printed and he has to calculate manually.

BTW I noticed that it was doing this several versions ago.

I'm afraid I can't duplicate this. I added a level of Sorcerer to a blank character, and the character shows an attack bonus of +0, which is correct for 1st level.

What's your race? feats? etc.?

If your race is halfling, gnome, or some other size S race, the +1 to hit modifier for being size S is incorporated into the attack bonus that's displayed on the basics tab.

Baraccus
June 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Ahhh...I see. Good to know. Now I can explain that to my players.
Thank you. :-)

huntercc
June 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Using the editor I made a copy of the Lich's racial special "Fear Aura". After testing my monster, it showed my new racial special but said it came from the Lich. The editor doesn't show any association to the Lich for my copied special ability, but a text editor showed this line:

<tag group="SpecSource" tag="Lich" name="Lich" abbrev="Lich"/>

mamaloufing
June 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
My fighter is getting an extra skill point per level. He should have 3 per level, +1 from the intelligence bonus. Hero Lab is giving me 4. My favored class bonus has been going to hit points so that isn't the issue.

huntercc
June 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
It seems that with undead characters who have a nonexistent CON score, HL is still adding +1 hit point per hit die. I just made a Huecuva/Cleric 4 character with all favored bonus given to skill points, no feats yet, and he is 7 hit points higher than I believe he should be. Next to each level is shown +1 hit point.

EDIT: I'm a dummy. Just realized his CHA is a 13, which yields a +1 to hit points for undead characters.

Mathias
June 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Using the editor I made a copy of the Lich's racial special "Fear Aura". After testing my monster, it showed my new racial special but said it came from the Lich. The editor doesn't show any association to the Lich for my copied special ability, but a text editor showed this line:

<tag group="SpecSource" tag="Lich" name="Lich" abbrev="Lich"/>

You're correct - that line is what's causing the Lich source to be there. It's a holdover from the d20 version of the files, when racial specials tended to be specific to a race. You can either delete that line in the text editor, or start by copying a different ability.

You may also want to take a look in the Bestiary, pg 300, at the "Frightful Presence" special - that seems to be the new standard ability for fear auras, so you may not need to make your own. You can look at how the Bone Devil bootstraps the ability to learn how to set the range and duration.

Mathias
June 4th, 2010, 09:30 AM
My fighter is getting an extra skill point per level. He should have 3 per level, +1 from the intelligence bonus. Hero Lab is giving me 4. My favored class bonus has been going to hit points so that isn't the issue.

Is your character human, and getting the human's +1 skill point/level bonus? If not, you'll need to tell me more about the character before I can figure out what's going wrong. Race, feats, traits, etc.

kunger00
June 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'm afraid I can't duplicate this. Yes, there's still an enter HP space for the template, but there's no HD reported to its left, and the HD total listed under the level is "0+1" - 0 class levels+1 racial HD. I'll put removing the HP space on my to-do list.

Thanks

kunger00
June 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM
You're correct - there's an error in the HD - CR conversion (and embarrassingly, it's correct on the Skeleton Champion, but not for the Skeleton or Zombie templates, so I fixed it in one case a while ago and didn't carry that fix to the other cases).

This'll be fixed in the next update, thanks for the report.

You're awesome as always!

TheWhiteHand
June 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM
In the Pathfinder Bestiary it does not appear that the Giants have the correct weapon proficiencies. As humanoids they should all receive simple weapons. Did not look beyond giants where I came across this but probably all humanoids would have this issue.

hazardjsimpson
June 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Sorry if I double-posted , there are two 'bug' forums here and I'm new here.

In the equipment list when you view the rule / tooltip for Grappling Hook it shows the rules for 3.5E, targeting a DC against the Use Rope Skill. The entire tooltip is not correct for pathfinder.

3.5E -- DC Use Rope Check of 10 + 2 per 10' thrown.

Should be:

Throwing a grappling hook is a ranged attack roll, treating the hook as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10 feet. Objects with ample places to attach a hook are AC 5.

hazardjsimpson
June 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I covered this here pretty well: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?p=39583#post39583

But the Amulet of Mighty Fists doesn't function in HL at all the way that it should or does by the PF rules. The Amulet is listed as a flat +1 to +5 when it should be configurable as per the rules. I'm not familiar enough to know the ins and outs of Hero Lab, but is this something that can be added, or am I going to need to add a billion different versions of the Amulet depending on what enchant / enhancement combos are chosen?

Mathias
June 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
In the Pathfinder Bestiary it does not appear that the Giants have the correct weapon proficiencies. As humanoids they should all receive simple weapons. Did not look beyond giants where I came across this but probably all humanoids would have this issue.

Currently, none of the Types are assigning their weapon proficiencies. This'll be fixed in the next update.

evilash
June 8th, 2010, 12:03 AM
The effect in greater magic fang is wrong.

One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1/three caster levels on attacks and damage rolls (maximum +5).

This does not correspond to the effect from the PRD.

This spell functions like magic fang, except that the enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls is +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5). This bonus does not allow a natural weapon or unarmed strike to bypass damage reduction aside from magic.

Alternatively, you may imbue all of the creature's natural weapons with a +1 enhancement bonus (regardless of your caster level).

I marked the differences in effect in bold.

Mathias
June 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
This isn't the only spell that's still using the SRD description text. Updating them all as a batch is something I hope to get to soon.

ShadowChemosh
June 8th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Guess I should report this here, but I think its more of the core HL program issue then the pathfinder DB. I created a new Armor Thing and a new Weapon Thing. I then accidentally bootstrapped the Armor Thing to the Weapon Thing and the Weapon Thing to the Armor Thing. I know dumb mistake, but it was late.

When I tried to select the Armor thing to add it to the hero the program hung and eventually I had to kill the program. Restarted HL with no issues and thought maybe it was a fluke so tried to add the armor again. Again HL hung and I had to kill the program.

Here is the bad part. When I restarted HL again it had lost my license and went back into a mode where it thought I didn't have any data bases downloaded. It wanted me to activate my license again which I thought would have been bad or start it in demo mode.

Luckily I was able to restore the whole HL folder from my nightly backup and everything was fine again, but losing the license is sort of bad.... :eek:

Mathias
June 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
(This is no longer the active bug reports thread, please use the bug reports thread stickied to the top of the forum)

Colen
June 8th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Guess I should report this here, but I think its more of the core HL program issue then the pathfinder DB. I created a new Armor Thing and a new Weapon Thing. I then accidentally bootstrapped the Armor Thing to the Weapon Thing and the Weapon Thing to the Armor Thing. I know dumb mistake, but it was late.

When I tried to select the Armor thing to add it to the hero the program hung and eventually I had to kill the program. Restarted HL with no issues and thought maybe it was a fluke so tried to add the armor again. Again HL hung and I had to kill the program.

Here is the bad part. When I restarted HL again it had lost my license and went back into a mode where it thought I didn't have any data bases downloaded. It wanted me to activate my license again which I thought would have been bad or start it in demo mode.

Luckily I was able to restore the whole HL folder from my nightly backup and everything was fine again, but losing the license is sort of bad.... :eek:

Firstly, if your license vanishes for some reason, you can just go the license menu and choose "Reactivate License" to get it back, including all of the packages you're authorized for. So don't worry about that. :)

Secondly, we're adding extra handling in v3.6b to detect "bootstrap loops" like the one you accidentally made - in 3.6b the compiler will give you an error if you have two things bootstrapping each other. So hopefully this won't be a problem in future. :)

Do you still have the files that caused the problem? If so, could you email them to me at colen@wolflair.com? If you still have them, I can test them to make sure that 3.6b catches the error properly and doesn't cause this problem.

Thanks!