PDA

View Full Version : General Problems

Thurgian
May 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
When creating a "Ranger", toughness isn't available as a feat choice (it isn't even on the list as an illegal choice). This requires that I first classify the player as a fighter, assign toughness, reassign the play to "ranger". Of course, this results in a validation error.

"Backgrounds" aren't completely implemented. Requiring all kinds of character sheet manipulations.

Some items (like magic arrows and healing potions) refuse to stack - making for an extremely cluttered and difficult to manage inventory.

18 months (more or less) since the last post on the subject, HL still won't export 4e profiles to D20. Considering that this is the exact reason that I purchased HL (too bad you can't save/export with the demo), I am more than a little disappointed.

Colen
May 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
What's the problem with Backgrounds? I think they show up in the hero info at the top of the sheet, and their bonuses should be included properly with your normal stats.

By "export to d20", I assume you mean d20pro? The d20pro guys have been working hard to improve support for non-d20 games recently, and we now have a specification for what we need to add to make an exporter work. Now that I have a few days to spend on the 4e files, I'm hoping to focus on this so we can get it implemented.

Thanks for your other reports - I'll get the bugs fixed.

Thurgian
May 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
What's the problem with Backgrounds? I think they show up in the hero info at the top of the sheet, and their bonuses should be included properly with your normal stats.

By "export to d20", I assume you mean d20pro? The d20pro guys have been working hard to improve support for non-d20 games recently, and we now have a specification for what we need to add to make an exporter work. Now that I have a few days to spend on the 4e files, I'm hoping to focus on this so we can get it implemented.

Thanks for your other reports - I'll get the bugs fixed.
Not all of the backgrounds are available. Or if they are, I am blind (which is entirely possible). While, off the top of my head, I can't name each of the ones I am looking for - I can't seem to find something equivalent to:

Auspicious Birth

While not a huge difficulty (Since I can just give the player the appropriate health) it is bothersome.

SAbel
May 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I believe that the only backgrounds in HL are the Forgotten realms one and nothing else. That being said it is very easy to create backgrounds that funtion, I have with no problem using the editor.
1. Open HL
2. load 4E
3. at the top goto Tools, left click
4. Click on Launch editor
5. File open New data file (I labled mine backgrounds)
6. you can work from scratch but it may be helpful to use (lower left side) New(Copy) were you open a current background to see how they work and then make your own.

I made one for the Windrise ports from Dragon Mag. it was pretty fast and once you have done it it should be a quick add for other or custom ones you want. If a player of mine wants that in then they can add it and share it with everyone that uses HL in my group I am up to 3 members at this time.

Thurgian
May 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks!

I haven't tackled the editor yet, but I will; and your post gives me hope.

Colen
May 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
SAbel is exactly right. The D&D Compendium (http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/database.aspx) unfortunately doesn't include any backgrounds, so we only include the ones that are downloadable from the public Wizards web pages. :(