PDA

View Full Version : Delay/Ready in Tactical Console

Cutter
May 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I'm just wondering if there is any different effect of pressing delay/ready for a creature in the tactical console?

Do both just move to the next creature in order and put the delayed/readied creature at the top of the list, or is there some different effect for the two in the code somehow?

Mathias
May 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM
They're from Special Initiative Actions, pgs 202-203.

Ready interrupts the action of the person who does whatever you were readying for, putting you ahead of them in the initiative. If you delay, you'll act after anyone else who wants to go at that initiative count.

Cutter
May 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Right - I get that - just not sure how it works in Tactical console. I am not seeing a difference between the two as far as the program is concerned. Perhaps I am just not using it correctly.

Do you think you could give me an example of how to use it? I didn't see it in the doc anywhere.

Basically what I need to know is what to do when a creature that has readied or delayed wants to take his action. Do I just click the "play" button on that creature at that point? That would mean for a ready creature I do that at that point, but for a delay I need to let the current creature take his turn and then do the readied creature?

Mathias
May 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, once you ready or delay, your act icon (the play button) goes grey. Pressing that button means you take your action at that point in the initiative order.

The difference between the two can be seen in the initiative order next round - add 3 characters to the TacCon, delay one, ready the second, then have each of those act before the thid acts. Next round, they'll all be listed at the same initiative score (because the first two readied or delayed to the initiative count of the third), but the order will be: readied, 3rd, delayed, since readying happens before the person whose initiative it is, and delaying happens after.

Cutter
May 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Okay what you describe is exactly what I expected Mathias, but that is not what is happening. When I did exactly what you describe, I end up with the following order: delayed, ready, third which is the order I had them take their actions in.

I'm suspecting there is a bug here because it is not acting as you describe it should.

I am also getting some wierdness in that sometime i click on ready and it is flagged as a delay action and sometimes I click delay and it says the character readied.

Cutter
May 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
nudge

Mathias
May 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM
There is something odd going on, I've put this on my to-do list.

(Please don't bump posts after just a day - I have other things to do than answer posts on the forum, and often those have a higher priority and take more than a day).

Cutter
May 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
My apologies Mathias. I saw you has replied to all the other posts and just thought you had missed this one.

I very much appreciate the great support you give and am loving Hero Lab since I bought it last week.

Mathias
May 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM
It's a matter of how long it will take me to answer the question. The easy or moderate ones I generally answer as I see them, the harder ones or those that will take a while to investigate I'll often wait on. Sorry I snapped at you.