PDA

View Full Version : User Files

Grog
May 9th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm new here.

I purchased HL a few weeks ago, just for characters and was amazed at how friendly the interface is. Top it of with being able to customize, it was awesome. Now with the Bestiary, I cannot be happier. This is making my tracking of stuff like character encumbrance much easier, etc. (I've always loved being harsh on encumbrance...)

I've been game mastering for decades. Even though I tend to run 'canned' adventures, I make a lot of custom things, magic items etc. to personalize the experience a bit more.

So, immediately, I jumped into the Editor. I'm a code guy myself so it wasn't much of a stretch, just getting used to the lingo and syntax. Actually, the documentation is pretty good, and copying existing items makes it a bit easier. But, being a code guy myself, I want to make sure that I'm doing things using the best practices.

I'd hate to create a bunch of extras only to realize that I was doing it in a substandard manner, possibly exposing myself to issues in future upgrades, etc. Could I post a magic item .user file here with a few items so someone could peek at it and confirm that I'm doing it right?

Or is another forum or location better?

I may take a stab at plugging in a few prestige classes next week...

Thanks again for the wonderful product.

Grog

dartnet
May 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
How can we help you?

Lawful_g
May 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
There are several places to share files. There is a Yahoo group, the cheese weasel website, and a pathfinder specific one. You'd probably want the last one, since it sounds like you are working in pathfinder.

Grog
May 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Ok, here is where I'm at.

Part 1: I want my wondrous item to only do stuff when equipped. That I've figured out.

Part 2: Equipped and the character is not Good then they get a negative level.

I copied and modified code from another item to get the code below.

if (hero.tagis[Alignment.Good] = 0) then
herofield[tNegLevel].value = herofield[tNegLevel].value + 1
endif

It seems to give a character a negative level, no matter what their alignment happens to be. (tried on CN and LG chars) What is the expected return value (or range of values) for hero.tagis[Alignment.Good]? Is there documentation for hero.tagis and what all can be inspected? I was poking around on the Wiki and couldn't find an object reference for stuff like this and the Alignment.Good, etc.

Part 3: Equipped and a Good character, then they get a Special ability: "Good Aligned Damage" - "Your damage is considered to be good aligned for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction." I want the special ability to show up on the "Special" tab. I figure if I get the stuff in Part 2 to work then I can use the reverse to see if they are Good, and then dynamically populate the "Special" tab with the benefit. How can I add that dynamically via an eval script?

Thanks,

Grog

chiefweasel
May 10th, 2010, 05:58 AM
For the user files, I am more then willing to put all user created files on the www.cheeseweasel.net site. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Lawful_g
May 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I'm not an expert with the Pathfinder side, but your code looks alright to me, so I would guess it is a problem with your timing. You got that piece of code from something else, so make sure it is running in the same phase and priority as where you copied it originally did.

For part three, I would make the special with an Eval Script similar to part 2, checking if the hero is good, and if not, deleteing the [Helper.ShowSpec] tag. Then just bootstrap to the main ability and test.

Grog
May 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not an expert with the Pathfinder side, but your code looks alright to me, so I would guess it is a problem with your timing. You got that piece of code from something else, so make sure it is running in the same phase and priority as where you copied it originally did.

The item I used for a base had its Eval Script set at "Pre-Levels". (which makes sense as I'm modifying levels......) I switched mine and tested several times and it is working now.

Thanks for the tip, I'll pay more attention to phase and priority in the future.

For part three, I would make the special with an Eval Script similar to part 2, checking if the hero is good, and if not, deleteing the [Helper.ShowSpec] tag. Then just bootstrap to the main ability and test.

deleteing the [Helper.ShowSpec] ..... How is that part accomplished? Sorry for being a noob.

All that aside, I'm working on creating prestige classes from Draconomicon. I'm running Red Hand of Doom with my players. I've updated them and the critters to Pathfinder. Now I have a few weeks to slap together all the special prestige classes for the level bosses. Bit of a learning curve but fun. Talon of Tiamat is the one I'm going to mess with tonight.

Grog

ShadowChemosh
May 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
deleteing the [Helper.ShowSpec] ..... How is that part accomplished? Sorry for being a noob.

You can do the following:

perform delete[Helper.ShowSpec]

Grog
May 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
You can do the following:

perform delete[Helper.ShowSpec]

Thanks again. I'll try that. :)