PDA

View Full Version : DC Heroes or Blood of Heroes?

Shadowchaser
May 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Has anyone got either of these systems up and running in Hero Lab?

Dix
August 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM
We have the same doubt here....anyone even tried to use the author kit and implement it?

Kairos
September 7th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I've thought about it, but my AK time has been seriously curtailed with a new job I took in May. :/

MPHopcroft
December 17th, 2014, 07:09 PM
The license situation surrounding MEGS (The system that drives DC Heroes) is so nightmarish that even in this age of brazen retro-cloners nobody has been willing to touch it. And nobody can do a full revival because nobody knows who might actually have the rights among the multiple claimants.

charlieluce
December 18th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Yeah, Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition is probably about as close as you're likely to see.

MPHopcroft
December 20th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah, Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition is probably about as close as you're likely to see.

It is still substantially different. Powers are handled completely differently, for example, and the AV/EV/OV concept does not exist. Those new, smaller numbers are essentially D20 bonuses stripped from stats and made to stand alone.

Mind you, when applied to the DC Universe it seems to work, but it's not DC Heroes as we used to know it.

charlieluce
December 20th, 2014, 07:16 PM
It is still substantially different. Powers are handled completely differently, for example, and the AV/EV/OV concept does not exist. Those new, smaller numbers are essentially D20 bonuses stripped from stats and made to stand alone.

Mind you, when applied to the DC Universe it seems to work, but it's not DC Heroes as we used to know it.

I didn't say it was the same, I said it was as close as you were likely to get in an in-print system.

Now, given that you can't actually IP raw game mechanics, if a sufficiently motivated group wanted to change the names of everything and roll that out, they might get some community funding, but I lost touch with the MEGS community years ago, so I have no idea if that's anywhere in the cards.

Probably be a pretty extensive Hero Lab project, too.

MPHopcroft
December 20th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Probably be a pretty extensive Hero Lab project, too.

Enormous. A hundred or so powers, with with two different cost levels (one to just get the power at 0APs and more to increase its value), plus skills, nine attributes with two different cost levels, a very large pool of points which is intended to be scaled to match campaign power levels, a variety of mutually incompatible systems for creating gadget/equipment -- all of which change, sometimes dramatically, between editions -- and you get something that's an unholy mess to code.

RPGs aren't typically made like that anymore. DC Heroes was a brilliant late 1980s design. It doesn't match 2014 design philosophies well at all.

Kairos
January 24th, 2015, 03:34 AM
I've started work on these data files. Got the AP cost table build last night, and am moving on from there. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Kairos
January 29th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Work continues apace. Basics of AP purchasing are in place. Now on to building more basic objects like skills and powers.

WIP screenshot (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5964125/hl/megs.png)

Kairos
February 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Most of the basics are in place. Next step is to implement gadgets and advancements, and detail out powers. Might actually skin this one, too. :P

MEGS wip screenshot (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5964125/hl/megs2.png)

Azseron
September 23rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
Those screen shots look quite promising, I know this thread is six months old, but has there been any further development on this?

Azseron
May 7th, 2017, 05:36 PM
I know I'm resurrecting the dead but has any more work been done on this project?

Kairos
October 7th, 2017, 05:51 AM
I really need to dust this off, but I've got a bit done on this project (see attached). Left to do:

- Lots of data entry
- Gadgets are in good shape, but need to review
- Output
- Advancement

TaylorBland
November 13th, 2017, 05:08 PM
just a quick question. i noticed this was last month and so i was wondering if there was any update or even a file we could view? this looks really good and it would come in handy. thanks.

Kairos
March 28th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Sorry, guys. Been awhile. Add this link (https://brianhoule.net/hl/megs/updates.xml) to your sources in Hero Lab to check out the rule set.

OverlordofFoxes
April 23rd, 2018, 10:47 AM
Interesting creation and setup on the rules. Based on the issue that resulted in the Vista version. I’m going to take a gander and assume the descriptions will be generic. What’s the plan on the limitations and advantages for the powers like invisibility doubling the cost?

Kairos
April 25th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Interesting creation and setup on the rules. Based on the issue that resulted in the Vista version. I’m going to take a gander and assume the descriptions will be generic. What’s the plan on the limitations and advantages for the powers like invisibility doubling the cost?

I'd handle that with an eval script on the Invisibility thing (haven't gotten that deep yet, but eventually) that checks for the presence of the appropriate Bonus(es) and changes the BaseCost tag. Tags on powers look something like this:

<tag group="PowerType" tag="Physical"/>
<tag group="Range" tag="Self"/>
<tag group="Type" tag="Auto"/>
<tag group="BaseCost" tag="45"/>

<!-- Factor Cost -->
<tag group="FactorCost" tag="4"/>

OverlordofFoxes
April 25th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Its interesting how the MEGs system is setup and I can see how you would handle change. I've been working on my own power file. I've just got to update the limitations.

OverlordofFoxes
April 25th, 2018, 06:44 PM
I'd handle that with an eval script on the Invisibility thing (haven't gotten that deep yet, but eventually) that checks for the presence of the appropriate Bonus(es) and changes the BaseCost tag. Tags on powers look something like this:

<tag group="PowerType" tag="Physical"/>
<tag group="Range" tag="Self"/>
<tag group="Type" tag="Auto"/>
<tag group="BaseCost" tag="45"/>

<!-- Factor Cost -->
<tag group="FactorCost" tag="4"/>

I figured as much that it would need the variables for each one, but for the limitations if put under a different file would it require just calling that specific power?

Kairos
April 26th, 2018, 01:52 PM
If I understand what you're asking, not quite. To apply a bonus or limitation to a power, I use a gizmo, which is sort of a child object attached to the power. That lets me use a form to apply Bonus and Limitation picks to my power pick. The eval script defined on the Power thing will look at which Bonuses and Limitations picks I've applied to the Invisibility pick (in the case of Invisibility, I would use a "custom" Bonus for the # of senses to which the power makes you invisible), then adjust the BaseCost tag appropriately.

TaylorBland
June 28th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Quick Question, i know its been a bit since the release of this one, but is there any update. my group really wants to use it and would like the advantages and drawbacks filled in. no rush or anything, just asking.

Kairos
August 18th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding. l haven't done anything with the ruleset in awhile, but l just lost my job, so this may be a good project to pick back up.

OverlordofFoxes
October 31st, 2018, 01:54 PM
Hey things happen, I haven't really been able to work on any of my own projects either. Hope the job hunt goes alright for you.

Mandrake
June 22nd, 2019, 11:03 PM
Hi Kairos

Just beenb reading the thread and got to page 3 sorry to hear about losing your job I know its been a while so I hope you have managed to find another one and thing are better.

My group is playing Blood of Heroes and realy enjoying this was wondering if there might be some updates in the pipeline. fully understand if RL has gotten in the way, just thought I would ask.

I've not programed in a long time and not sure where to start with this, but any update would be gratefully received.

Mandrake

Duggan
April 7th, 2020, 02:49 PM
Kairos's site is down again. I have copies of the data files (https://www.dropbox.com/s/9magfri8qpftmbf/HL%20Data%20Systems.zip?dl=0) on my computer if anyone needs them before he comes back.