PDA

View Full Version : Questions

vraad
April 5th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hello

I'm considering obtaining HL for my 4E campaign and I have a few questions that I'd love to get answers to before I proceed with my purchase.

1) I understand that you can add custom powers, races, classes, etc. Do you need to pay for the authoring kit to be able to do this, or is it part of the core functionality of HL?

2) I understand that you can import data from Wizards with a valid ddi login. While I use a lot of the Wizards products, there are a few things that don't fit my game worlds. Wizards handles this with their character builder by using check boxes to pick and choose what things you want to allow and what you don't. Does HL have similar capability? How is this handled??

3) I also run multiple campaigns with different setups. Do you have a way to keep different campaigns separate (such as a Forgotten realms campaign vs. a completely homebrew one)?

4) Since I can't print off power cards with the trial version of HL, can someone give me the dimensions of these cards when they are printed?

5) When power cards are created, do they have info for using that power with a particular weapon? For example, if I always us a longsword with cleave, will the power card produce stats related to that particular weapon??

Thanks for your time and patience. I'm trying to make a good purchase here and would prefer to be informed.

THANKS!!

Colen
April 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
1) Adding new stuff to an existing game system is part of the core HL functionality. The authoring kit is only needed if you want to do something super-ambitious, like create your own game system.

2) This depends on what exactly you want to do. What sort of differences are there in your games?

3) Yes - you can disable and enable content from different settings on the configure hero form.

4 & 5) I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but the power cards are printed either 3x3 (portrait) or 4x2 (landscape) on a sheet of paper. You can check out the print preview to see how the power cards look.

Incidentally, you can test all of these in demo mode - you can create your own feats, powers, & races, import the wizards D&DI data, look at power cards in print preview, etc. Give these a try in demo mode and you should be able to tell whether Hero Lab fits your needs.

Hope this helps!